Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Im doing an economics essay about NHS.
    Evaluate if NHS is a public good or not?

My answer is: yes, no and semi.

I need help to support the answer yes but all my points are no
    I need to use journal/articles and reference quotes to support it.
    Help pls?:confused:
    I just dont know what to put for yes cos I think it is not a public good but I need to show it is though

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The NHS is the UK's publicly funded health service, free at the point of use for everyone, everywhere. It's regarded as one of the best in the world. A report produced by the Commonwealth Fund, a Washington-based foundation which is respected around the world for its analysis of the performance of different countries' health systems. It examined an array of evidence about performance in 11 countries, including detailed data from patients, doctors and the World Health Organisation.
    "The United Kingdom ranks first overall, scoring highest on quality, access and efficiency," the fund's researchers conclude in their 30-page report. Their findings amount to a huge endorsement of the health service, especially as it spends the second-lowest amount on healthcare among the 11 – just £2,008 per head, less than half the £5,017 in the US. Only New Zealand, with £1,876, spent less.

In the Commonwealth Fund study the UK came first out of the 11 countries in eight of the 11 measures of care the authors looked at. It got top place on measures including providing effective care, safe care, co-ordinated care and patient-centred care. The fund also rated the NHS as the best for giving access to care and for efficient use of resources.
    The NHS is awesome. Be proud!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chocolattelee)
    Hey, Im doing an economics essay about NHS.
    Evaluate if NHS is a public good or not?

My answer is: yes, no and semi.

I need help to support the answer yes but all my points are no
    I need to use journal/articles and reference quotes to support it.
    Help pls?:confused:
    I just dont know what to put for yes cos I think it is not a public good but I need to show it is though

Thanks
    Definition of a public good is one that is both non-excludable (i.e. you can't stop people from using it) and non-rivalrous (i.e. you using it doesn't make it worse for someone else).

It is pretty much non-excludable since the idea of the NHS is that it's free at the point of treatment; you go to A&E with a serious problem and they'll treat you. There's no real way to stop people from using the NHS if they're in the UK.

You can argue either way with non-rivalrous because it depends on which part of the NHS you're talking about. If you're in, say, an understaffed ward then you could be taking up the time and resources that would've otherwise been used on other patients. On the other hand, in a very quiet ward it doesn't matter so much, so it's non-rivalrous. If you want, you can link this to recent economic developments; as resources are taken away from the NHS you could say it's becoming less of a public good.

ReputationRep:
    It's a quasi-public good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Extricated)
    It's a quasi-public good
    S-DOG!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.