Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I've just graduated from Reading, (yesterday xD) and I'm more than happy to answer any questions about Classics courses. I can help out with reading lists, how the module system works, what the tutors are like, etc. All questions are welcome

Sophie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just_smurfy)
    Hi everyone!

I've just graduated from Reading, (yesterday xD) and I'm more than happy to answer any questions about Classics courses. I can help out with reading lists, how the module system works, what the tutors are like, etc. All questions are welcome

Sophie
    Hi! I'm glad I took a look at the Reading board. I'm going to be applying to study ancient history. I've read mixed reviews though. How is the Classics department? Is it big?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Hi! I'm glad I took a look at the Reading board. I'm going to be applying to study ancient history. I've read mixed reviews though. How is the Classics department? Is it big?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The department is amazing. It's quite a small department but the tutors are incredible. You get to know them really well and it's easy to arrange time to see them if you want to discuss something. There's a museum in the department and a resources room filled with useful books for your course which you can borrow.

In first year everyone has lectures together for fifth century Athens and Augustan Rome, which is great as you get to know lots of people on your course and related courses. You get to pick some optional modules as well, including one outside the department if you wish, I did a history module. Then in second year and third year you get a lot more choice for modules.

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    I have an offer to study classical studies at Reading, but am torn between accepting it or going to Manchester instead. I feel Reading would suit me better as I work best in a smaller department and the modules listed on the website interest me. Also one of the Professors sent me a really nice letter saying she was impressed with my statement, I'm not naive and know they probably send one to all prospective students, but Reading is the only university I applied to that sent me a nice letter. However a lot of people have been saying to me I would be stupid to turn down a place at a Russel group uni for a no Russel group unis the teaching will not be as good and I will have very limited employment options post degree. Would you be able to tell me how you found the teaching of the degree? And if possible how you consider your chances of getting a job, although I understand if it too soon for you to know the answer to that? Many thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.