Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How are Plyometrics supposed to be done? Watch

ReputationRep:
    how are plyometrics supposed to be done?I've added plyometrics to my training regime for boxing strength and conditioning training, as I have been told the plyometrics will make me more explosive.

I've been told to do a plyometric exercise until I feel a burn, then rest 5 minutes and repeat, because the lactic acid is released, which causes fatigue causing me to do my plyometric exercise less explosively. Therefore I need to rest 5 minutes. Is all of this true? if not, how are they meant to be done for explosiveness and quickness. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    power movements don't necessarily have to be done until your fatigued, the concentration is done on how powerful you are not the reps/sets. Plyometrics is ideal to include in your training specially for sport athletes. What sort of movements are you doing....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gior)
    power movements don't necessarily have to be done until your fatigued, the concentration is done on how powerful you are not the reps/sets. Plyometrics is ideal to include in your training specially for sport athletes. What sort of movements are you doing....
    Box jumps
    Sprints
    Clap push ups
    Medicine ball throws

Im not doing it until im fatigued, im doing it until I just feel that burn

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iWoof)
    Box jumps
    Sprints
    Clap push ups
    Medicine ball throws

Im not doing it until im fatigued, im doing it until I just feel that burn

Posted from TSR Mobile
    okay, these movements should still be done by prioritising power; a burn is not relevant. The movements are done to gain power and explosivness therefore you can take as much rest as possible. Just focus on being powerful rather than the reps/sets or burn. You can increase the intensity of the movements. For example increase the box jump height.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gior)
    okay, these movements should still be done by prioritising power; a burn is not relevant. The movements are done to gain power and explosivness therefore you can take as much rest as possible. Just focus on being powerful rather than the reps/sets or burn. You can increase the intensity of the movements. For example increase the box jump height.
    Alright, thank you.
    I understand clearly now, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you do any cleans/jerks/snatches?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEHughes)
    Do you do any cleans/jerks/snatches?
    I did do clean and jerks, but after 3 weeks of doing them I found my speed decreased for some odd reason. So I stopped doing them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iWoof)
    I did do clean and jerks, but after 3 weeks of doing them I found my speed decreased for some odd reason. So I stopped doing them.
    how often did you do them ? these movements are a huge stress on your central nervous system. So if your going heavy and high volume more than twice a week your not going to see much improvement.

There is no better power movement than a power clean to build explosiveness/power.

ReputationRep:
    Have a read around on how these lifts are programmed. They'll be a better gauge of your increase in power over time because they can be loaded very precisely, in a way a box jump or clapping pushup can't be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gior)
    how often did you do them ? these movements are a huge stress on your central nervous system. So if your going heavy and high volume more than twice a week your not going to see much improvement.

There is no better power movement than a power clean to build explosiveness/power.
    I was doing them 3 times a week.
    Maybe I'll try them again but ill do them once a week.
    However, would I still see improvements if I do Olympic lifts once a week, and plyometrics in the same week?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gior)

Also how many reps and sets do you think I should do in a week/day from doing Olympic lifts with 20-30kg weight?

And you promise me I wont lose my speed if I do oly lifts and plyometrics?
    As speed is my main aspect lol
    Thanks btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iWoof)
    Also how many reps and sets do you think I should do in a week/day from doing Olympic lifts with 20-30kg weight?

And you promise me I wont lose my speed if I do oly lifts and plyometrics?
    As speed is my main aspect lol
    Thanks btw

what is your max ?

i would work around 65% - 70% so you can nail in the technique, that still might even be a bit heavy.

the way i programme my week is purely for oly lifting so it may not be of use to you but i do lots of accessory work like clean pulls, cleans of blocks, hang cleans, front squats , cleans with no jump ect ect. And then on friday i will do heavy singles at like 85% maybe even 90%.

Another way you can programme oly lifts is by doing emom stuff. This involves doing the designated power cleans every minute on the minute for so many minutes. For example 5 power cleans every minute on the minute for 15 minutes at 70%. Don't rush the movement though, take your time each rep should be exactly the same.

hope this helps a little

o yea you won't loose speed haha and yes your see progress if you programme your week correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gior)
    what is your max ?

i would work around 65% - 70% so you can nail in the technique, that still might even be a bit heavy.

the way i programme my week is purely for oly lifting so it may not be of use to you but i do lots of accessory work like clean pulls, cleans of blocks, hang cleans, front squats , cleans with no jump ect ect. And then on friday i will do heavy singles at like 85% maybe even 90%.

Another way you can programme oly lifts is by doing emom stuff. This involves doing the designated power cleans every minute on the minute for so many minutes. For example 5 power cleans every minute on the minute for 15 minutes at 70%. Don't rush the movement though, take your time each rep should be exactly the same.

hope this helps a little

o yea you won't loose speed haha and yes your see progress if you programme your week correctly.
    Wow thanks!
    So my week will be:

Monday: oly lifts
    Tuesday: box jumps (plyometrics that work the legs)
    Wednesday (plyometrics that work the upper body
    Thursday: same as tuesday
    Friday: sprints
    Saturday: same as Wednesday
    Sunday: rest

Would that be good for now?
    I've got a months break from boxing, so the routine would change after a month. But is this good for now?

ReputationRep:
    Also how long should I wait between each rep when I do oly lifts?

ReputationRep:
    Reading your posts suggests you have little experience with strength training in general.

What's your age/height/weight, and how much do you squat/bench/overhead press/deadlift?

ReputationRep:
    You're not meant to feel a burn, plyometrics are quick explosive exercises. You will find yourself resting 5 mins or so between sets not because you are physically tired, but because you need to give your central nervous system time to recover.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.