Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an interview as a Currys part-time sales assistant. Does anybody know what it is like. I'm especially worried about the 5 minutes to impress section.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rxmtf)
    Hi,

I have an interview as a Currys part-time sales assistant. Does anybody know what it is like. I'm especially worried about the 5 minutes to impress section.

Any advice?
    Stay composed. Be clear, concise, and accurate in your body language and your speech. Relax.

If this "5 minutes to impress" is talking about yourself, then talk about anything and everything! from school work to out of school activities! In a recent interview, I was talking about how I used to play rugby, do DIY in the house (the interview was for a job at one of these home improvement retail stores), moderate TSR, play piano etc. and they seemed impressed. You might not think that you can talk about much, but just continue to speak and go into as much detail as you can.

If it's working the shop floor, then think how the customer would want you to treat them: be polite, helpful, and practically do everything within the company policies (which you don't know yet, so don't worry about it) to make them happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    Stay composed. Be clear, concise, and accurate in your body language and your speech. Relax.

If this "5 minutes to impress" is talking about yourself, then talk about anything and everything! from school work to out of school activities! In a recent interview, I was talking about how I used to play rugby, do DIY in the house (the interview was for a job at one of these home improvement retail stores), moderate TSR, play piano etc. and they seemed impressed. You might not think that you can talk about much, but just continue to speak and go into as much detail as you can.

If it's working the shop floor, then think how the customer would want you to treat them: be polite, helpful, and practically do everything within the company policies (which you don't know yet, so don't worry about it) to make them happy.
    Thanks! Just out of interest, did you get the job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rxmtf)
    Thanks! Just out of interest, did you get the job?
    Yes...and no.

They were really pleased with how I performed at interview, but then when discussing availability and finding out I was at uni far away, so this'd only be a holiday job, they had to withdraw their offer. Silly on their part, I did state on my CV that I was studying at uni and they just didn't read it (or if they did, not thoroughly enough!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.