Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi All,

Hoping someone on here can help me. I cannot get over how vague Microsoft's licensing information seems to be on their website!

Okay so the deal is at the company I work for we use a remote desktop from local computers to connect to our server (Running 2008 R2). We have 10 per-user CAL licences on our server, one for each local computer as we all use the server.

Okay so here comes the question. Recently we discovered the RemoteApp functionality. The idea is great, means people can run applications (namely Office) as if it were running on their local desktop. This is ideal for employees like myself who are only alternating to the remote server session to check our emails.

The problem is we have no idea how the licensing is supposed to work. Because we have 10 per-user CAL's does that mean that we can have ten people using their remote desktop AND RemoteApp simultaneously or does it mean that users can use one or the other, until a total of 10 variants are being used.

The main reason we ask about the licensing is because we outsource some of our IT to do with the server and they are insistent we need more licences (for everyone who is using the RemoteApp - not everyone is). Also worth mentioning that in task manager on the server when both services are being used by the same user, they appear twice in the user section (I get this as they have two connections to the server open - but does this other appearance mean another licence is needed??)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, we've tried scouring forums but can't find questions which are close enough to our scenario to relate!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FatalNewbie)
    Hi All,

Hoping someone on here can help me. I cannot get over how vague Microsoft's licensing information seems to be on their website!

Okay so the deal is at the company I work for we use a remote desktop from local computers to connect to our server (Running 2008 R2). We have 10 per-user CAL licences on our server, one for each local computer as we all use the server.

Okay so here comes the question. Recently we discovered the RemoteApp functionality. The idea is great, means people can run applications (namely Office) as if it were running on their local desktop. This is ideal for employees like myself who are only alternating to the remote server session to check our emails.

The problem is we have no idea how the licensing is supposed to work. Because we have 10 per-user CAL's does that mean that we can have ten people using their remote desktop AND RemoteApp simultaneously or does it mean that users can use one or the other, until a total of 10 variants are being used.

The main reason we ask about the licensing is because we outsource some of our IT to do with the server and they are insistent we need more licences (for everyone who is using the RemoteApp - not everyone is). Also worth mentioning that in task manager on the server when both services are being used by the same user, they appear twice in the user section (I get this as they have two connections to the server open - but does this other appearance mean another licence is needed??)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, we've tried scouring forums but can't find questions which are close enough to our scenario to relate!
    I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me, but from what I gather, the license should be per user per application. Therefore if you are using it for 2 different applications, you will need separate licenses for each of them...

I don't know what company it is, and how strict they are, but if it works, then you should be ok - most likely nothing will come of it if you use the licenses for both things...

I hope this helps

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 4, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.