Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Childcare problems. What are the hours for student nurse. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To all student nurses,
    i am wanting to apply for adult nursing at Bradford Uni but I have a 4 year old child so I am worried about the hours. Please could you tell me the hours you are in uni/ placement please thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    that's really difficult to answer, different uni's have different ways of doing things. For our first semester we were in uni for most of the week, generally starting at 9am, but sometimes 11am and we'd finish at 3pm or 5pm. Our first placement was 4 weeks before Christmas hols (you get 2 weeks) and hours would be different depending on placement, ie wards, you work 12.5 hour shifts starting at 7.15am, and out of 4 weeks, 3 weeks would be 3 shifts (including w/e's and nights) and one week would be 4 shifts. If you were in the community it would be 9-5 five days a week. Day surgery would also be 8-5 day mon-Friday. Or, also depending on the type of ward you might do earlies of 7.15 to 1.45, or lates, 2-9pm. Our second semester was more self-study so we were in uni less.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou, so the first semester I really would need a childminder to help with before and after school. In the second semester are you still on placement or is it just more home study? Are you at Bradford uni?

ReputationRep:
    second semester is lectures, at least 3 days a week, home study and a six week placement. You will need a childminder for the whole 3 years! And someone at night if you are on your own. There are lots of us with kids though, mine are older and from September will all be at secondary school, so it's easier for me, and my s-i-l is there to help out in the hols, because we only get 7 weeks. I'm at Kingston btw

ReputationRep:
    It varies depending on the time of year, how many modules you have and so on. When you're on placement you'll be expected to work the same shifts as nursing staff, including nights and weekends. You should be able to see when you're in uni or on placement as it's planned out before you start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.