Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm 26 and currently looking to further my IT career from its current situation.
    For the last two years i have worked contracts doing IT support. Before that i was at the same company for two years doing IT support.
    My last job was Windows 7 roll out engineer, so basically upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7.

In the last two roles my pay was around £20 an hour so about £40k a year, but as these are contracts, they didnt run for a year.
    The thing is, i'm 26 and think its about time i settle down for a career and work my way up through a company.
    I'm not really sure what to do next, getting £20 an hour for support is a good wage and the support i did mainly for the NHS meant a lot of travelling and i hardly spent any time in the office, which was good as i prefer doing different things each day.

My real problem is i dont know what i want to get into IT wise. The only area i can think of is IT security, i know there is high demand for people with skills in this sector. But after looking around it seems without a Computer Science degree, there isn't much chance of learning the skills needed without this degree as a foundation. There are courses such as CCNA Security but without that degree it seems pointless.

I have a degree in Computing Networks. I didnt really enjoy it, it was very boring, however i think if i became a network engineer it would be a lot more hands on than the Uni course was. But with no jobs doing network engineer etc i might struggle getting a job doing this.

For my project i setup various computers in a virtual enviroment and attacked them seeing what could be done, which exploit could do what etc. I then setup an intrusion detection system to try and detect these attacks. That is where my interest in IT security comes from. I think its proper title is penetration testing or ethical hacker.

So just looking for advice really on where to go next. If anyone has IT security experience and could tell me their career progression that would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by united2000)
    Hi all,

I'm 26 and currently looking to further my IT career from its current situation.
    For the last two years i have worked contracts doing IT support. Before that i was at the same company for two years doing IT support.
    My last job was Windows 7 roll out engineer, so basically upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7.

In the last two roles my pay was around £20 an hour so about £40k a year, but as these are contracts, they didnt run for a year.
    The thing is, i'm 26 and think its about time i settle down for a career and work my way up through a company.
    I'm not really sure what to do next, getting £20 an hour for support is a good wage and the support i did mainly for the NHS meant a lot of travelling and i hardly spent any time in the office, which was good as i prefer doing different things each day.

My real problem is i dont know what i want to get into IT wise. The only area i can think of is IT security, i know there is high demand for people with skills in this sector. But after looking around it seems without a Computer Science degree, there isn't much chance of learning the skills needed without this degree as a foundation. There are courses such as CCNA Security but without that degree it seems pointless.

I have a degree in Computing Networks. I didnt really enjoy it, it was very boring, however i think if i became a network engineer it would be a lot more hands on than the Uni course was. But with no jobs doing network engineer etc i might struggle getting a job doing this.

For my project i setup various computers in a virtual enviroment and attacked them seeing what could be done, which exploit could do what etc. I then setup an intrusion detection system to try and detect these attacks. That is where my interest in IT security comes from. I think its proper title is penetration testing or ethical hacker.

So just looking for advice really on where to go next. If anyone has IT security experience and could tell me their career progression that would be great.
    Certifications and Degrees shouldn't be compared..

I don't think you'll need a CS degree to get into IT Security.. The certifications provide you will good enough knowledge, however much alike a degree, without experience it's pointless..

If you do want to get into IT security, then I'd personally go for this path
    (Network+ > Security+ > CCNA R&S > CCNA Security > GIAC > SSCP > CASP > CISSP)

Personally I'm skipping the CompTIA certificates, for me they have no absolutely value.

And yes the proper title is Penetration Tester.. If you aspire to become one of those you might want to replace the SSCP with OSCP.. Thing is with Pen Testing.. People tend to apply for these jobs after having experience in a network related field.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.