Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Am I overreacting or was this unfair? (Rant warning!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone so I'm a little grumpy at the moment, as I've just been paid for some work I did at a friend of my mum's house.
    Basically she paid me and my brother to do some work in her garden and drive, some weeding and hedge trimming which wasn't too bad. However one job she had us do took 2 of the 3 days we were there and was hard work, my shoulders still ache and we finished 3 days ago.
    Anyway after the best part of 3 days worth of work, she paid us £10 each. Now, I know she asked us because it was cheaper than paying actual gardeners but I really feel rather insulted by this. And don't get me wrong I do appreciate that money is money but is this really fair for 3 days worth of work outside in boiling heat where I've ended up with sore muscles and blisters.
    Part of me feels like I'm being ungrateful and I really hope I don't come across as being bratty or anything, but I'm just really quite angry about this, safe to say I won't be doing any more work for her.

Summarised: Paid £10 for basically 3 days worth of hard(ish) work on someone's garden, feeling angry and cheated. Am I overreacting?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is unfair but as it's not a stranger or employer it would be a bit awkward to ask for more money. Always negotiate first, before you start work! I learned that lesson after babysitting every weekday for a month for my godmother and getting £20 out of it (£1 per 8 hour day...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

I babysat 3 children under 5 and i got paid £4. For 3 hours. By a family friend. I was annoyed, i got over it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I would have been a bit angry at that amount too. If you told her you would do it for free but she gave you a tenner each to be kind, that's different but for 3 days of hard-ish work and especially if it was in the blaring heat outside, I would have expected £20 each at the very minimum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holson)
    This is unfair but as it's not a stranger or employer it would be a bit awkward to ask for more money. Always negotiate first, before you start work! I learned that lesson after babysitting every weekday for a month for my godmother and getting £20 out of it (£1 per 8 hour day...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :eek: that's really harsh! Yeah I've definitely learned my lesson, but I'm not going to ask for any more, no use making a fuss and creating an issue unnecessarily.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    I babysat 3 children under 5 and i got paid £4. For 3 hours. By a family friend. I was annoyed, i got over it.
    Oh I'm not planning on dwelling on it, no use making a fuss :erm: but that sucks! I'm definitely going to sort out payment before work begins. I was just ranting mostly while I was still irritated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CallMeBatwoman)
    Hi everyone so I'm a little grumpy at the moment, as I've just been paid for some work I did at a friend of my mum's house.
    Basically she paid me and my brother to do some work in her garden and drive, some weeding and hedge trimming which wasn't too bad. However one job she had us do took 2 of the 3 days we were there and was hard work, my shoulders still ache and we finished 3 days ago.
    Anyway after the best part of 3 days worth of work, she paid us £10 each. Now, I know she asked us because it was cheaper than paying actual gardeners but I really feel rather insulted by this. And don't get me wrong I do appreciate that money is money but is this really fair for 3 days worth of work outside in boiling heat where I've ended up with sore muscles and blisters.
    Part of me feels like I'm being ungrateful and I really hope I don't come across as being bratty or anything, but I'm just really quite angry about this, safe to say I won't be doing any more work for her.

Summarised: Paid £10 for basically 3 days worth of hard(ish) work on someone's garden, feeling angry and cheated. Am I overreacting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would have thought that £75 each is much fairer...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.