Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been trying to chose a course to apply for but I am having a really hard time. Bio is amongst my favourite subjects, along with chem and maths that's why I am thinking about a bio course. However, having done some research, it may not have so good prospects in terms of work opportunities not to mention that having looked at some bio course descriptions, there are some subject areas that are not that interesting for me. PLEASE, I really need some help cause i' m running out of time! Thnx in advance

ReputationRep:
    It's really up to you, there are no simple answers, I don't think. Your extra curriculars, work experience, grades and the university you study at will all matter in what graduate options are open to you, Biology is still a respected degree even if it doesn't lead directly into anything in itself. However, if you've looked at the course descriptions and you don't find it interesting, that's probably a bad sign. You'll be working hard on your subject for at least three years, the biggest thing is that you enjoy it. What is it you're interested in and what is it you're wanting to do in the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carehow)
    It's really up to you, there are no simple answers, I don't think. Your extra curriculars, work experience, grades and the university you study at will all matter in what graduate options are open to you, Biology is still a respected degree even if it doesn't lead directly into anything in itself. However, if you've looked at the course descriptions and you don't find it interesting, that's probably a bad sign. You'll be working hard on your subject for at least three years, the biggest thing is that you enjoy it. What is it you're interested in and what is it you're wanting to do in the future?
    Well, I love bio and Chem, they are my favourite subjects in school. I know that finding out how living things work fascinates me and that is why I am thinking about a biology course. I cannot though stop thinking how could this possibly lead to a job. I don't really know yet what kind of job I want and that is my biggest problem. I've lately read something on cancer and I was really interested in it and I am kind of wandering now whether biochem could be a better fit for me. Plus I kind of like the idea of the scientific applications in crime. What do u think? Is bio a good fit after all? Thanks for the reply btw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corinahadji)
    Well, I love bio and Chem, they are my favourite subjects in school. I know that finding out how living things work fascinates me and that is why I am thinking about a biology course. I cannot though stop thinking how could this possibly lead to a job. I don't really know yet what kind of job I want and that is my biggest problem. I've lately read something on cancer and I was really interested in it and I am kind of wandering now whether biochem could be a better fit for me. Plus I kind of like the idea of the scientific applications in crime. What do u think? Is bio a good fit after all? Thanks for the reply btw
    Have you considered a Natural Sciences degree, or joint honours? That would allow you to study a wide variety of things and keep your options open. And honestly, you can probably get into a lot of specific scientific careers through graduate study, the most important thing at undergraduate is to do work experience, extra curriculars, and come out with a respected science degree. Have you considered ringing up universities or e-mailing them to ask what they think?

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of vocational courses that will make use of your interest in bio and chem.

E.g. Medicine, radiology, pharmacy, nursing, speech therapy etc. Most of these will almost guarantee a reasonably paid job with good prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carehow)
    Have you considered a Natural Sciences degree, or joint honours? That would allow you to study a wide variety of things and keep your options open. And honestly, you can probably get into a lot of specific scientific careers through graduate study, the most important thing at undergraduate is to do work experience, extra curriculars, and come out with a respected science degree. Have you considered ringing up universities or e-mailing them to ask what they think?
    No not really. I never even thought it actually. As for the natural science degree, I found out about it recently actually and I've been looking into it; it does seem tempting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    There are a lot of vocational courses that will make use of your interest in bio and chem.

E.g. Medicine, radiology, pharmacy, nursing, speech therapy etc. Most of these will almost guarantee a reasonably paid job with good prospects.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Actually I am aware of these jobs, I've come across them in my research and actually I was initially thinking about med, but to be honest none of these jobs 'clicked'. What I mean is that I didn't really like them or found them interesting enough and I just moved on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corinahadji)
    Forensic biology? Cellular biology?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.