Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hard life in UK. How do you feel? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://rt.com/uk/171836-strike-ralli...terity-unions/

People hold banners and placards as they take part in a march and rally in central London on July 10, 2014, as more than one million public sector workers went on strike in Britain overpay and spending cuts by the government imposed as part of its austerity programme, trade unions said (AFP Photo / Carl Court)

Life in UK now feels really tough. This reminded me of the famous oldie here...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DiWomXklfv8

Want to say anything about it?

ReputationRep:
    This goes to show that good economics is bad politics. This also shows that it's so much easier to inflate and expand the government sector than it is to deflate and decrease it.

It's painful, but it's necessary.

ReputationRep:
    I feel great that I was blessed with a polished jaw and a riviting personality.

ReputationRep:
    Simply put, the cuts are only doing harm to our economy.

Our government is making descisions based on bad economics, and running the country into the grund for personal gain and ideological blindness.

These people have a right to strike, and they are using that right with good judgement. The fact that Cameron and co. are now seeing this and then seeing it as a need to curb the unions, is a good enough reason to strike in the first place!

ReputationRep:
    The main problem with the public sector and benefits as a whole is they're very easy to raise in good times.

As soon as you realise you need to cut the public sector (either jobs or pay) and benefits it makes very bad politics. Basically it's very popular to raise them and will 'always' win you votes, cutting them however will 'always' loose you votes, whatever the economic situation.

ReputationRep:
    I Feel very happy in UK

ReputationRep:
    I don't live in the UK any more, but having forgotten that fact momentarily, I remember thinking that this public sector strike was affecting me about as much as the previous ones.

Firefighters complaining that they want to retire at 55 rather than 60 on a £30k pension are not Jutland veterans living in a pile of newspapers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    http://rt.com/uk/171836-strike-ralli...terity-unions/

People hold banners and placards as they take part in a march and rally in central London on July 10, 2014, as more than one million public sector workers went on strike in Britain overpay and spending cuts by the government imposed as part of its austerity programme, trade unions said (AFP Photo / Carl Court)

Life in UK now feels really tough. This reminded me of the famous oldie here...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DiWomXklfv8

Want to say anything about it?
    well august is coming up soon. we could riot again?

i could do with some of that tesco value rice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    I don't live in the UK any more, but having forgotten that fact momentarily, I remember thinking that this public sector strike was affecting me about as much as the previous ones.

Firefighters complaining that they want to retire at 55 rather than 60 on a £30k pension are not Jutland veterans living in a pile of newspapers.
    Its 15k actually but dont let that stop you.
    Apart from the fact that they have been paying twice the rate of contributions of nearly all other public servants for 30 yrs, the employers are just ripping up a contract.
    Remember firefighters have always payed into the pot, it is the mployers who took payment holidays or even used the firefighters contributions to buy fire engines in the easy years when not many were retiring. Not to mention the sexist side of it because if you think 60 yr old men will be struggling to do operational duties ( ie pulling on 2.5 stone of kit a 3 in the morning, to fight their way into your house to rescue you, how do you think most 60 yr old women will cope.?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caravaggio2)
    Its 15k actually but dont let that stop you.
    Apart from the fact that they have been paying twice the rate of contributions of nearly all other public servants, the employers are just ripping up a contract.
    Remember firefighters have always payed into the pot, it is the mployers who took payment holidays or even used the firefighters contributions to buy fire engines in the lean years when not many were retiring.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._-_FINALv2.pdf

It's a defined benefit scheme scheme where you get 1/58.7th of your career averaged salary multiplied by the number of years of service. So at 60 someone would have been working for 42 years, and would be entitled to 71.5% of final salary.

The salary of a firefighter is about £30k with no overtime or managerial duties. So someone who clocks no overtime and is never promoted would receive about £22k; the average firefighter would earn more.

Complaining that this isn't as good at it used to be and about bad faith is fine as far as it goes. But if you want contracts that are enforceable you have to save and invest money yourself, and you won't get this extremely generous deal doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guneet00)
    I Feel very happy in UK
    Like the royal family, you're rich?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fojodef)
    well august is coming up soon. we could riot again?

i could do with some of that tesco value rice
    Lol. No. I don't like violence. I prefer hunger strikes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload..._-_FINALv2.pdf

It's a defined benefit scheme scheme where you get 1/58.7th of your career averaged salary multiplied by the number of years of service. So at 60 someone would have been working for 42 years, and would be entitled to 71.5% of final salary.

The salary of a firefighter is about £30k with no overtime or managerial duties. So someone who clocks no overtime and is never promoted would receive about £22k; the average firefighter would earn more.

Complaining that this isn't as good at it used to be and about bad faith is fine as far as it goes. But if you want contracts that are enforceable you have to save and invest money yourself, and you won't get this extremely generous deal doing that.
    Pfft, the average fireman does a far more dangerous job and is worth far more than your average bitter private sector desk jockey.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosferatu)
    Pfft, the average fireman does a far more dangerous job and is worth far more than your average bitter private sector desk jockey.
    My former neighbour and good friend was a firefighter who retired in his 50s with a full pension. He immediately went and got another job, as a warehouse foreman iirc. In the final years before he retired, he was earning probably £40-50k. He lived in a middle class neighbourhood and owned a holiday home in Spain. He had never had anything more than manual jobs, mostly non-supervisory.

I agree a firefighter deserves more than a checkout assistant, but this is overpaying relative to the skills. They have been gradually turning an extremely generous deal into a just generous deal, and the fire service has repeatedly threatened lives and property to try to stop it. I don't think that is reasonable.

ReputationRep:
    My former neighbour and good friend was a firefighter who retired in his 50s with a full pension. He immediately went and got another job, as a warehouse foreman iirc. In the final years before he retired, he was earning probably £40-50k. He lived in a middle class neighbourhood and owned a holiday home in Spain. He had never had anything more than manual jobs, mostly non-supervisory.

I agree a firefighter deserves more than a checkout assistant, but this is overpaying relative to the skills. They have been gradually turning an extremely generous deal into a just generous deal, and the fire service has repeatedly threatened lives and property to try to stop it. I don't think that is reasonable.
    I see your point, I'm just scared that this sort of thing sets a precedent, which it basically does. The Conservatives (and Labour, and the Lib Dems) don't care about cutting costs: they care about power. They want to completely shatter the power of the average citizen and it begins by reducing these public sector benefits. Gradually we are seeing a race to the bottom where all British people will end up in a workplace as the fodder of sociopaths, with poor living conditions and low wages. This is just the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Simply put, the cuts are only doing harm to our economy.

Our government is making descisions based on bad economics, and running the country into the grund for personal gain and ideological blindness.
    You haven't been following the news have you? The UK is currently one of, if not THE fastest growing economies in the developed world. Business confidence is booming thanks to the policies this government has been implementing.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing that matters at the end of day is the economy, so the conservatives will probably get another term.

I have no sympathy for public sector workers though. Everyone is in the same boat. What makes them special?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectsymbology)
    I have no sympathy for public sector workers though. Everyone is in the same boat. What makes them special?
    Strong unions and the ability to annoy everyone if they strike.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Strong unions and the ability to annoy everyone if they strike.
    Which gains them sympathy, how?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Which gains them sympathy, how?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They don't get any from me.

My plan would be to invest multiple billions in a secret state of the art tube training facility in Eastern Europe, and train an Army of fully qualified drivers and station staff, then go to war with the RMT and starve them out. Break the unions for once and for all, regardless of the cost. You would be horrified if you knew the kind of money tube staff are on for holidays and special events.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.