Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a belly.How do I make it go away?Cant afford gym.Suggest some home exercises.I'm an amateur at working out.Currently I'm doing 50 pushups(sets of 20,15)100 sit ups and 50 squat per day.Basically,I keep going until I wear out.I'v been doing this for a few months now.Result is my arms have gotten bigger,but no change in my tummy.any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Try doing cardio rather than muslce building, jog or swim regularly and it'll go away

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    lose fat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by All-rounder)
    Try doing cardio rather than muslce building, jog or swim regularly and it'll go away

I cant swim.When's the best time to go jogging and for how long should I jog per day?I'm asian btw.Its hot all the time here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    lose fat
    how?I'm so confused about this.<y friends tell me I should gain wait,but to lose my tummy I should be eating less.I weigh 170 pounds.any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economist2)
    I cant swim.When's the best time to go jogging and for how long should I jog per day?I'm asian btw.Its hot all the time here.
    Then learn to swim, the beauty of jogging is that it can be done any time anywhere, if its always hot then plan a route with your home as the halfway loop point to get a drink every so often. 20-30 minutes every 2 days should do well for a start then progress to daily after a while.

ReputationRep:
    run early on in the morning. Less cars, less people and far more peaceful, not to mention colder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tearteto)
    run early on in the morning. Less cars, less people and far more peaceful, not to mention colder.
    Agreed, run in the morning. Fewer cars, fewer people and also you'll be on an empty stomach, so you'll burn fat rather than glucose in your bloodstream.

Also Asian; how is your diet? It's about 80% of losing weight. If you're like me you'll probably eat a lot of high GI carbs (esp. rice) which you'll want to reduce and replace with protein sources (lean meat, fish, egg whites) and veg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttankzhang)
    Agreed, run in the morning. Fewer cars, fewer people and also you'll be on an empty stomach, so you'll burn fat rather than glucose in your bloodstream.

Also Asian; how is your diet? It's about 80% of losing weight. If you're like me you'll probably eat a lot of high GI carbs (esp. rice) which you'll want to reduce and replace with protein sources (lean meat, fish, egg whites) and veg.
    yeah,thats what um doing.Little rice,more protein.Its been like two weeks,since I've started this die.Will give it a month and see what happens.thanks.needed someone to confirm that rice makes you fat theory...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economist2)
    yeah,thats what um doing.Little rice,more protein.Its been like two weeks,since I've started this die.Will give it a month and see what happens.thanks.needed someone to confirm that rice makes you fat theory...
    nope nope nope

calorie deficit is all you need.

certain foods don't make you gain weight, overeating does.

ReputationRep:
    nope nope nope

True, but keeping control of your insulin levels and taking in more protein compared to carbs helps manage catabolism, otherwise fat will come off but so will muscle mass. In the long-run this will reduce the calorific maintenance requirement and make calorific deficit harder as well as just giving the "skinny-fat" look

ReputationRep:
    bout 200 pressups a day
    + much core work.
    + much cardio.
    + fix diet

Shouldn't take too long if you're just unfit and not a whale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    bout 200 pressups a day
    + much core work.
    + much cardio.
    + fix diet

Shouldn't take too long if you're just unfit and not a whale.
    u wot m8?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    u wot m8?
    u wot?

ReputationRep:
    u wot?
    m8?

ReputationRep:
    m8?
    U avin a larf m8?

ReputationRep:
    U avin a larf m8?
    ye bruv.

In all seriously I fail to see the point of 200 pressups a day. Go for a run if you want to lose fat. Lift proper weights if you want to get big.

ReputationRep:
    nope nope nope

It always amazes me how people cannot grasp the very very simple concept of

caloric surplus = gain weight

caloric deficit = lose weight

ReputationRep:
    ye bruv.

In all seriously I fail to see the point of 200 pressups a day. Go for a run if you want to lose fat. Lift proper weights if you want to get big.
    He says can't afford to go to a gym. Not many other exercises you can do at home easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    It always amazes me how people cannot grasp the very very simple concept of

caloric surplus = gain weight

caloric deficit = lose weight
    There's a difference between losing weight and losing fat

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.