29.27%
8. The Shining (29)
70.73%
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Usual Suspects (1995)
Roger Kint is being interrogated. He tells the police why he happened, with four other criminals, to be on a ship that served as the stage for a massacre. What is the truth, and who is Keyzer Soze? The Usual Suspects is a film that demands your attention. It may only retain it's magic during initial viewings, but it's one hell of a ride the first time.

The Shining (1980) Stanley Kubrick's uncompromising horror is a pitch-perfect recreation of a man's descent into madness. Jack Torrance agrees to take his family and look after an isolated hotel during it's close season, as he sees this as a perfect way to cut off distractions and allow him to finish his novel. However he soon falls into the clutches of cabin fever, unable to identify supernatural hallucinations from his own reality, and the film builds to an incredibly tense climax. Always a showman, Kubrick's own promotional trailer for this film sold it as a light-hearted family comedy.
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
A great film v a great ending. Has to be The Shining.
Rum Ham
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I love both! But I would have to go with The Usual Suspects. The ending had be gobsmacked but looking back, I should have seen it coming lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hal.E.Lujah
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by just a dad)
A great film v a great ending. Has to be The Shining.

This in every way. Shining just consistently great, Usual Suspects has an industry defining ending, but the rest of the film isn't as constantly powerful.
e aí rapaz
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Shining, best horror film ever made.
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
unprinted
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Usual Suspects - fabulous film-making. Worthy of much analysis and rewatching. Great cast.

The Shining - fabulous film-making. Worthy of much analysis (see Room 237) and rewatching. Great director. One of the scariest films ever - not for the ending, but for the building of tension with Danny going round the hotel. We know something horrible is going to happen, but when?
Deshi
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Usual Suspects is overrated, and I don;t even think the ending was that shocking, but I think that's because before watching it it;s all anyone talks about and you spend the entire time trying to figure it out.

I struggle to get into Kubrick films but The Shining is one I definitely don't struggle to get into, nearly the perfect horror film.
Joshale
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
not seen any, so was a guess with TUS
Prandtl
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The Usual Suspects does suffer on rewatching. Has to be The Shining.
just a dad
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Although I voted The Shining I did think that TUS would put up a stronger showing than appears to be the case.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by just a dad)
Although I voted The Shining I did think that TUS would put up a stronger showing than appears to be the case.
Also voted shining. Expected an ass kicking and am getting one.
Fullycorporate
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I watched Usual suspects twice in one week and I was tempted to watch it again after, I absolutely loved Kevin spacey in it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise