Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group E QF1: The Usual Suspects V The Shining Watch

• View Poll Results: Group E: Quarter Final 1
    1. The Usual Suspects
    29.27%
    8. The Shining
    70.73%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

The Usual Suspects (1995)
    Roger Kint is being interrogated. He tells the police why he happened, with four other criminals, to be on a ship that served as the stage for a massacre. What is the truth, and who is Keyzer Soze? The Usual Suspects is a film that demands your attention. It may only retain it's magic during initial viewings, but it's one hell of a ride the first time.

The Shining (1980) Stanley Kubrick's uncompromising horror is a pitch-perfect recreation of a man's descent into madness. Jack Torrance agrees to take his family and look after an isolated hotel during it's close season, as he sees this as a perfect way to cut off distractions and allow him to finish his novel. However he soon falls into the clutches of cabin fever, unable to identify supernatural hallucinations from his own reality, and the film builds to an incredibly tense climax. Always a showman, Kubrick's own promotional trailer for this film sold it as a light-hearted family comedy.

ReputationRep:
    A great film v a great ending. Has to be The Shining.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I love both! But I would have to go with The Usual Suspects. The ending had be gobsmacked but looking back, I should have seen it coming lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    A great film v a great ending. Has to be The Shining.

This in every way. Shining just consistently great, Usual Suspects has an industry defining ending, but the rest of the film isn't as constantly powerful.

ReputationRep:
    The Shining, best horror film ever made.

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Usual Suspects - fabulous film-making. Worthy of much analysis and rewatching. Great cast.

The Shining - fabulous film-making. Worthy of much analysis (see Room 237) and rewatching. Great director. One of the scariest films ever - not for the ending, but for the building of tension with Danny going round the hotel. We know something horrible is going to happen, but when?

ReputationRep:
    Usual Suspects is overrated, and I don;t even think the ending was that shocking, but I think that's because before watching it it;s all anyone talks about and you spend the entire time trying to figure it out.

I struggle to get into Kubrick films but The Shining is one I definitely don't struggle to get into, nearly the perfect horror film.

ReputationRep:
    not seen any, so was a guess with TUS

ReputationRep:
    The Usual Suspects does suffer on rewatching. Has to be The Shining.

ReputationRep:
    Although I voted The Shining I did think that TUS would put up a stronger showing than appears to be the case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Although I voted The Shining I did think that TUS would put up a stronger showing than appears to be the case.
    Also voted shining. Expected an ass kicking and am getting one.

ReputationRep:
    I watched Usual suspects twice in one week and I was tempted to watch it again after, I absolutely loved Kevin spacey in it!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.