Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group E QF2: Rear Window V Memento Watch

• View Poll Results: Group E: Quarter Final 2
    4. Rear Window
    45.71%
    5. Memento
    54.29%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Rear Window (1954)
    A wheelchair bound photographer relieves his boredom by spying on his neighbours from his apartment window, and becomes convinced that one of them is guilty of murder. Hitchcock demonstrates how he earned the title ‘Master of Suspense’ in this voyeuristic thriller starring the unforgettable partnership of James Stewart and Grace Kelly.

Memento (2000)
    The film that put Christopher Nolan on the map is a brilliantly woven mystery that manages to keep it's audience in the dark as long as it's central character and plays havoc with traditional narrative. Guy Pearce's central character has anterograde amnesia, meaning he is unable to form new memories, and the film mirrors this by having his storyline play in reverse chronological order, so that the audience is as unaware of what came before as the lead character. A perfectly executed experiment in film narrative.

ReputationRep:
    The old master v the new kid on the block. Another great match-up ... not sure yet!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Rear Window! I adore this film. Memento is great too. Can't recommend those films highly enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    The old master v the new kid on the block. Another great match-up ... not sure yet!

Argh I know right! I had to go with Hitchcock, mainly because it's proven capable of the standing up half a century later. And I'm a big Nolan fan

ReputationRep:
    Memento is awesome. Really clever.

But... Rear Window! It's Rear Window! Sorry, Memento.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Argh I know right! I had to go with Hitchcock, mainly because it's proven capable of the standing up half a century later. And I'm a big Nolan fan
    Still haven't decided! I might abstain, need to sleep on it.

ReputationRep:
    didnt like memento, felt like it was trying too hard

rear window is a classic, but it's a great suspense film and not much else.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Rear Window - another great Hitchcock

Memento - a better Nolan than Inception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Rear Window - another great Hitchcock

Memento - a better Nolan than Inception.
    I do like your analysis on every poll but it doesn't tell me which one you sent for most of the time.

I've shockingly seen neither of these so will vote after reading the discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Slept on it, and I woke up thinking 'Hitchcock'. Tough on Memento as they are both excellent pieces of work.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I do like your analysis on every poll but it doesn't tell me which one you sent for most of the time.

I've shockingly seen neither of these so will vote after reading the discussion.
    I went with Memento. There are about half a dozen better Hitchcock's.

They're both good - just make sure you get the original RW rather than the remake! - but better stuff than both is going to lose elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Rear Window. Love the setup of watching a group of characters who are watching other characters. Easily one of Hitchcock's best. Plus... Grace Kelly.

It's harsh on Nolan and Memento as that's probably his best.

Edit: 11-11 as I voted. Close stuff!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    Edit: 11-11 as I voted. Close stuff!
    Yep, this one deserves to be close. This half of the bracket is probably more competitive, overall, than the other half.

ReputationRep:
    I am so happy rear window is winning there is faith for the future of cinema

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.