Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group F QF3: Inception V Braveheart Watch

• View Poll Results: Group F: Quarter Final 3
    2. Inception
    80.00%
    7. Braveheart
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Inception (2010)
    Christopher Nolan's big budget blockbuster showed the world (and especially Hollywood studios) that expensive films could credit their audiences with intelligence and still turn a handsome profit. Dealing in dreams with large portions of the film taking place in different characters' subconscious, Nolan takes a complicated story and expresses it in a way that makes it feel wonderfully intuitive.

Braveheart (1995)

Follow actor and director Mel Gibson around a medieval Scotland as he plays a more Scottish, more angry Mel Gibson. This epic historical drama tells the tale of William Wallace , a 13th century Scot who led the war against King Edward I. Ignoring the fact that it is about as historically accurate as The Tweenies, this tragic tale is an enduring and passionate vision, and the ten Academy Award nominations, including winning five categories, is evidence of the sheer brilliance involved.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Inception gets lots of flak. People hate on it for some of the following reasons;

- It wasn't as clever as people told me it would be

Actually, it is. Maybe you should have just watched it and drawn your own conclusions rather than relying on what google said; because funnily enough nothing in the film is concrete. It dances circles around the audience for placing their focus on what isn't important - the spectacle, rather than the simple beautiful moment at when he sees his children's faces.

- Over the top CGI

A valid point, but that's what the film was about. The premise was 'dreams', and seeing impossible and incredible things. The soundtrack for the film was focused on delivering a dream like state where the impossible happened on screen. To be honest, all I have to say to this is if you know you don't like dinosaurs, don't see Jurassic Park and say it was crap because it had too many dinosaurs. The CGI doesn't come at the cost of Nolan's subtlety, which is why he was the only person to be able to pull off a blockbuster title with strong artistic contribution.

- I don't like Leonardo DiCaprio

:sad: He deserves that oscar. You know it deep down.

Just wanted to throw that in there before the inevitable 'lol Inception sucked' brigade that usually creep forth, and claim the avengers was the greatest thing since sliced bread :ninja:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Braveheart and no, not just because I'm Scottish. Its just a better movie imo than Inception.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Inception all the way for me. My kind of blockbuster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    I'd say Braveheart and no, not just because I'm Scottish. Its just a better movie imo than Inception.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We all know that it's just because you're Scottish
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Can't remember if I've watched inception or not :lol: Certainly haven't watched the other though..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Inception - it's not even the best Nolan, but it's fine.

Braveheart - there's a fanedit which greatly improves it, including removing much of the ahistorical crap (hint, see how old the heroine was in real life), but the original? Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Only if you hate the English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Inception - it's not even the best Nolan,
    The Prestige and The Dark Knight would be my two favourites. Both of which are also in the competition.

ReputationRep:
    I've never been big on Braveheart, it's a film pretty much everyone ends up watching at school which makes it inherently annoying. As a Scot living abroad I've come to ****ing hate it.

ReputationRep:
    lol Inception sucked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    lol Inception sucked
    Well ... right now it's sucking 13:1

ReputationRep:
    I love Inception. The acting, the story, the cinematography and effcts, THE MUSIC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Well ... right now it's sucking 13:1

(Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Just wanted to throw that in there before the inevitable 'lol Inception sucked' brigade that usually creep forth, and claim the avengers was the greatest thing since sliced bread :ninja:
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Pre-voting (haven't seen the results) but I predict Inception winning since Braveheart isn't as present in recent popular culture, being neither recent or really talked about at all. No idea why as it's head and shoulders above Inception in terms of story, music, tone and all that cinema stuff. It also contains the greatest speech in cinema history:

ReputationRep:
    Inception is imo one of the top films of all time. It's very rare that such an enormous and novel premise is pulled off with minimal contradictions/continuity problems, somewhat believably, and with such excellent pacing throughout.

For pretty much every film I watch, there are bits which I'll think of afterwards that could have been improved on or tweaked. With Inception, I can't actually think of any such bits - so in a sense, it's the most 'perfect' film I've seen.

ReputationRep:
    Inception was awesome and very clever unlike most big hollywood films which treat the audience like 2 year olds.

It's the obvious choice here and will probably go on to win the group.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.