Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group F QF4 : Raiders of the Lost Ark V Aliens Watch

• View Poll Results: Group F: Quarter Final 4
    3. Raiders of the Lost Ark
    63.83%
    6. Aliens
    36.17%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
    The first modern outing for legendary archaeologist Indiana Jones, this film harks back to a simpler age, when everything George Lucas touched turned to gold and franchises weren't ruined by fridges. Arguably the greatest adventure film ever made, this film has it all - including booby trapped temples, ancient mysticism, and Nazis with their faces melting off.

Aliens (1986)
    It is always difficult to make a sequel significantly different from the original. Building on Ridley Scott's tense and nervy opener, James Cameron's sequel could not be more different. With a focus on the action instead of the horror, Aliens manages to walk a fine line of honouring its heritage while offering something completely new.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the toughest match ups ever. Raiders being the sine qua non of the pulp action-adventure - you say the words Indiana Jones, and everyone knows exactly what you mean.

On the other hand, Aliens is one of the greatest works of science fiction ever. Given the lack of CGI, this is how space marine type stuff was done prior to Starship Troopers. The beginning, middle, end of the film join together seamlessly. I would say Aliens is a film without a single flaw, and easily the best of the franchise.

Aliens for me. You can watch it again and again and find something new or something deeper in the story. Raiders is exactly what it presents at face value - you're watching a series of fights and stunts, albeit excellent ones.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I went for Raiders, but I can't help but feel that if the later Alien works hadn't somehow tainted the originals I would have gone for Aliens.

ReputationRep:
    Aliens is in my top 5 films of all time. I've watched it probably 100 times.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    This is one of the toughest match ups ever.
    Yep. No idea which way to vote, another one to sleep on.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Tough one!

Raiders: fabulous, furious, and funny. How on earth did it get an A / PG rating? Exploding and melting heads, anyone?

Aliens: great action film, but not as good as Alien.

Raiders!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    I went for Raiders, but I can't help but feel that if the later Alien works hadn't somehow tainted the originals I would have gone for Aliens.
    Uh, hello? Kingdom of the Crystal Skull???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I think we pretend that Crystal Skull never actually existed! On my, what a turkey :eek:

Don't care which one goes through as they are both fab, but decided to go with Raiders.

ReputationRep:
    I've never really been able to get into Indiana Jones films and Aliens is a classic for me.

ReputationRep:
    Never understood the fuss about Indiana Jones.

Aliens - best scifi-action film of all time. And, as was mentioned in another thread, Bill Paxton with his "Game over man, It's game over!" is immense. Aliens all the way.

ReputationRep:
    12:10 at the moment, looks like another (deserved) close one.

ReputationRep:
    These are literally the parings that I have seen so far which are nothing alike apart from both being action movies but my heart is always with Sigourney Weaver and I also love Bill Paxton whereas I am not too keen on Harrison Ford although his Indiana Jones movies are all awesome. Aliens is definitely better.

ReputationRep:
    Aliens only 1 vote behind.

I went for Aliens, Reckon it deserves this win. I love the entire quadrilogy tbh.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)

Didn't see it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Didn't see it
    Stay that way. Once you have seen it, you can never unsee it. The horror.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)
    Stay that way. Once you have seen it, you can never unsee it. The horror.......
    Agreed. Although it's rather unfair to say that the later Alien franchise polluted the earlier works, when Raiders has the king of all turkeys sitting there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Agreed. Although it's rather unfair to say that the later Alien franchise polluted the earlier works, when Raiders has the king of all turkeys sitting there.
    Yep, Crystal Skull makes the final Alien movie (I don't count the AvP stuff) look like Citizen Kane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Yep, Crystal Skull makes the final Alien movie (I don't count the AvP stuff) look like Citizen Kane.
    Crystal Skull makes AvP look like Apocalypse Now.

Actually, if I'm honest with you, I don't think the first AvP was actually that bad in isolation.

If you want to (unfairly) compare franchise v franchise, Indiana Jones has two excellent films, one ok one and one of the worst of all time.

Alien has two excellent films, two poor ones, two joke ones and one (Prometheus) which some people think is rubbish and others think is really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Crystal Skull makes AvP look like Apocalypse Now.

Actually, if I'm honest with you, I don't think the first AvP was actually that bad in isolation.

If you want to (unfairly) compare franchise v franchise, Indiana Jones has two excellent films, one ok one and one of the worst of all time.

Alien has two excellent films, two poor ones, two joke ones and one (Prometheus) which some people think is rubbish and other think is really good.
    IMO
    Indiana Jones franchise - one all time classic, one good, one OK, one abomination
    Alien franchise sans AvP - one all time classic, one excellent, two interesting failures (one of which is Prometheus) and one turkey

As a franchise I suppose Alien, for me, is therefore the marginally more successful.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.