Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Blogging question: difference between categories and tags? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a blog where I have over 200 posts, with 28 categories. Yet I have over 500 tags!

I am thinking of deleting most of those tags, as I don't see the point of having a tag if it only contains one post (why would someone click on a tag if they discover the only post under that tag was the one they were reading?).

But do tags help your SEO and Google optimising? Could a blog with very few tags actually appear on Google search results?

For example, if I had a tag 'STUDENT ROOM' on a post about TSR, would that tag be redundant, as no other post on my blog would mention it? Therefore putting it in the category of 'WEB' would be sufficient?

But then how does Google Spider track my content without the relevant tag?

ReputationRep:
    Tags can be used for seo, whilst categories are for organising. Tags can also allow users to see posts on one item (ie if you have a news blog - you could see all posts tagged with NSA which span Europe and US) which spans multiple categorys

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't necessarily delete all the tags but it would be worth reducing the number and using the same tags across relevant articles. This makes the tags more useful both for the user and potentially for the search engines.

If you havn't already done so you might find adding something like Google Analytics useful as one option in there shows how users navigate through your blog. This can help show which tags are popular and which ones aren't used which helps in the process of choosing which to keep and which to remove. You'll need to have the analytics running for a while (at least a few weeks) before you start to get useful information.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.