Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Useless A2 teacher- advice Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    The title pretty much sums it up
    This teacher doesn't really "teach" as such. He just sits there and talks for however long the lesson is. I understand that I might be going to university in a year and that's what you'd expect but there's still a problem namely because he doesn't even talk about anything particularly useful.The lessons have no clear theme and he doesn't give you the required information. Heck, he spent half a lesson talking about old types of guns. The course focus is over a century in length (not sure my grammar is right but oh well) and he will attempt to cover the whole century within it- along with several historical themes. In doing this he loses any sense of chronology; compounded by the fact that no dates or specific figures are ever mentioned.
    I'm pretty sure he does this in all of his lessons- but here's the thing. This is assessed by coursework- which he's marking. When I was in secondary school I had a pretty nasty teacher who loathed me. He later gave me an E/F in coursework (can't remember which) which was later remarked by another teacher as an A. Obviously this was at GCSE, so no big deal but I can't afford that at A-level. (that being said this teacher doesn't have an irrational hatred of me. Don't get me wrong he's a lovely person just a terrible teacher)
    He also teaches about 4 different classes and has been there absolutely ages/runs some extracurricular stuff so he's not going anywhere but it's not fair on me. This person is actually meant to teach me something and all he does is confuse me, and at a college that's meant to be outstanding it's unacceptable. I've learnt nothing.

Please help as I'm having to teach myself the course myself and am really struggling with it. The last one I had was absolutely amazing and the difference is just gobsmacking

also this is my first post. If I've posted this in the wrong place please can you direct me to the right one please?
    Thanks for reading and sorry for any incorrect spelling/grammar (I have dyslexia sooo...)

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully TSR has revision notes for your course, or other sites if you search for them as well. Are there other teachers for your course aswell, maybe you can ask them about any topics you are stuck on, and ask them to mark your work, that way if you have your current teacher who might give you a low mark, but other teachers give you a high mark, its clear which mark you deserve
    Also, if other classmates feel the same, maybe you can complain or do something to either get another teacher or get him to improve on his teaching.
    Hope it goes well for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentfromhere)

Please help as I'm having to teach myself the course myself and am really struggling with it.
    What exam board are you with?
    Go to that particular exam board's website and look for the specification.
    Download it and you'll find all the necessary information in there like syllabus, course content, books to get and interesting website links.

Always be ahead of your teacher. Respect him for his capacity as a teacher.
    Make notes of whatever that comes out of his mouth.
    When you're doing self-studying, compare your notes with what he said.
    I'm sure somewhere in whatever he said, lies some good interesting points to take note.

When you get to university, it'll be even much worse.
    So deal with it now. Learn to deal with it.

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.