TSR Movie Madness: Group G QF4: Goodfellas V The Departed Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Group G: Quarter Final 4
    3. Goodfellas
    53.85%
    6. The Departed
    46.15%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Goodfellas (1990)
    This crime film by Martin Scorsese is the perfect blend of style and substance. With a great soundtrack and incredible tracking shots, the film has retained an iconic look and feel that few films can rival, the film focuses on the rise and fall of mobster and FBI informant Henry Hill.

The Departed (2006)
    The film that finally earned Martin Scorsese an Oscar, The Departed is an adaptation of Hong Kong thriller Infernal Affairs, and tells an epic tale of the relationship between the police and the Irish mob in South Boston filled with lies, deceit and betrayal.

ReputationRep:
    This one is so hard

Goodfellas is one of my all time favourites.

But The Departed is one of my modern favourites.

I can't decide!!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Goodfellas has been around much longer and is more iconic...

But I think The Departed is head and shoulders the better film.

ReputationRep:
    I think The Departed gets ripped by some because it was Scorsese's career achievement Oscar, and also not an original piece of work. But, stuff it. I thought it was great!

ReputationRep:
    The Departed is winning? Is this real life?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Goodfellas - fabulous Scorsese, but not his best.

Departed - not even the best version! The original is so much better, including much tighter.

ReputationRep:
    Goodfellas is probably my favourite film, so I have to go for that despite having huge love for The Departed and Scorsese

If Goodfellas doesn;t win

ReputationRep:
    Surprised to see Goodfellas losing. Still, only one behind now. Comeback's on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prandtl)
    Surprised to see Goodfellas losing. Still, only one behind now. Comeback's on.
    Now ahead by one. Not quite sure what we do if we have a tie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Now ahead by one. Not quite sure what we do if we have a tie!
    TSR will simply pronounce that Goodfellas is the winner. When asked why, it'll reply: 'It was outta respect'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    TSR will simply pronounce that Goodfellas is the winner. When asked why, it'll reply: 'It was outta respect'

Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm. I had not considered this possibility tbh. I may go have a look at the old version and see what they did in event of tiebreak. I may just not close it for a little bit then wait for a vote to go either way then close it.

ReputationRep:
    This one is very close!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrm. I had not considered this possibility tbh. I may go have a look at the old version and see what they did in event of tiebreak. I may just not close it for a little bit then wait for a vote to go either way then close it.
    Hey, sudden death penalty shoot-out. I like it!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sudden death penalty shoot-out. I like it!
    Can't think of any other way of doing it tbh!

I'd happily take any suggestion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Can't think of any other way of doing it tbh!

I'd happily take any suggestion.
    I think you've got it really.
    I presume its possible to keep a poll open, if needed, with your magical powers?

ReputationRep:
    I think you've got it really.
    I presume its possible to keep a poll open, if needed, with your magical powers?
    :yep:

Tbh it's just me not closing it. I can set them to auto-close but with the time travelling threads i'm doing to get them published at the correct time i think it wouldn't work very well.

PS, I voted for the departed which is now 2 votes behind so maybe this entire discussion will be moot.

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't voted so if it comes to it, I'll place the deciding vote

But yeah I think Goodfellas is gonna win anyway.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.