Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR Movie Madness: Group H QF2: Up V How to Train Your Dragon Watch

• View Poll Results: Group H: Quarter Final 2
    4. Up
    69.09%
    5. How to Train Your Dragon
    30.91%

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Up
    Up is the tale of Carl Fredericksen, an old man who fulfils a childhood dream by flying to South America - in his house, supported by balloons. A Boy Scout named Russell becomes an unlikely stowaway. When Carl meets his childhood idol, the explorer Charles Muntz, he is initially ecstatic - but is he all that he seems? In equal parts comedic and touching, this film will delight both young and old.

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
    This Oscar nominated film became such a favourite of young and old alike that its sequel is set to be another huge hit. The tale of Hiccup the Viking resonates in all of us who felt like we never quite fitted in and had to prove ourselves, and shows that we shouldn't accept things just because society says that's the way things are. With truly touching moments between Hiccup and Toothless the dragon, as well as between all the Vikings, How to Train Your Dragon is a heartwarming tale of friendship overcoming all boundaries. Plus who couldn't love a film with a dragon as adorable as Toothless?!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I liked HtTYD, but it's not in the same league as Up.

If you haven't seen Up, stop what you're doing right now and go watch it. Absolute masterpiece.

ReputationRep:
    Up is 8 minutes of genius ... followed by a lot of meh. But I haven't seen Dragon. I will skip this one.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Up - nowhere near Pixar's best.

Dragon - even further away.

I can't be bothered to vote for either.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

Definitely HTYD, I found Up slightly boring :erm:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This has been the hardest choice for me! I give them both 10/10 but I would go for HTTYD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    Up is 8 minutes of genius ... followed by a lot of meh. But I haven't seen Dragon. I will skip this one.
    Even if you don't like the rest, that 8 minutes is up there with the best animation sequences of all time imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Even if you don't like the rest, that 8 minutes is up there with the best animation sequences of all time imo.
    Fair comment, and Up will always have that '8 minutes' legacy. To give it its fair due, it showed that an animation can deal appropriately with
    Spoiler:
    Show
    death and loss
    in a way that other animations (yes Toy Story 3, I'm looking at you) ultimately bottled out on.

That all said ... at least an hour of Up is cut & paste and formulaic.

ReputationRep:
    HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fair comment, and Up will always have that '8 minutes' legacy. To give it its fair due, it showed that an animation can deal appropriately with
    Spoiler:
    Show
    death and loss
    in a way that other animations (yes Toy Story 3, I'm looking at you) ultimately bottled out on.

That all said ... at least an hour of Up is cut & paste and formulaic.
    Tbh it may have even dealt with that topic better than Lion King whcih is the classic film that teaches kids about the cirle of life etc.

If it was up against Wall-E here i'd be pulling my hair out but this is a straight forward decision imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    This has been the hardest choice for me! I give them both 10/10 but I would go for HTTYD

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you remembering to come back when not on the app and actually vote?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You clearly overrate films. 10/10 is so good you'd rather kill yourself than watch another film, lest the next film spoil what has been pure perfection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Why is it that polls don't work on the app?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Movie Madness is an event pitting 64 films against each other in a tournament where only one will triumph (to find out more, click here).
    Who will progress to the next round? You decide.

Up
    Up is the tale of Carl Fredericksen, an old man who fulfils a childhood dream by flying to South America - in his house, supported by balloons. A Boy Scout named Russell becomes an unlikely stowaway. When Carl meets his childhood idol, the explorer Charles Muntz, he is initially ecstatic - but is he all that he seems? In equal parts comedic and touching, this film will delight both young and old.

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
    This Oscar nominated film became such a favourite of young and old alike that its sequel is set to be another huge hit. The tale of Hiccup the Viking resonates in all of us who felt like we never quite fitted in and had to prove ourselves, and shows that we shouldn't accept things just because society says that's the way things are. With truly touching moments between Hiccup and Toothless the dragon, as well as between all the Vikings, How to Train Your Dragon is a heartwarming tale of friendship overcoming all boundaries. Plus who couldn't love a film with a dragon as adorable as Toothless?!
    but i love both of them :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by William Turtle)
    Why is it that polls don't work on the app?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because the app was only a breif experiment where TSR paid Tapatalk to make us a custom version of their app.

The Mobile site is where all the current Dev time is going.

I am planning on trying to speak with someone in the office about getting polls/Rep/WQM on the app. It'll cost money but imo it's worth it.

Just use the mobile version of the site to come and vote.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Doing that now since I'm on the mobile browser instead of the app

ReputationRep:
    Doing that now since I'm on the mobile browser instead of the app
    Awesome. You also get rep, quotes and notifications on there.

Although I shouldn't encourage httyd fans when up should clearly win this.

ReputationRep:
    Up is definitely overrated! But it's much better than HTTYD. Would have preferred better animations in the contest

ReputationRep:
    Exactly this for me too.

I'll throw HTTYD a vote as it's going to lose.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Because the app was only a breif experiment where TSR paid Tapatalk to make us a custom version of their app.
    I am planning on trying to speak with someone in the office about getting polls/Rep/WQM on the app. It'll cost money but imo it's worth it.
    Otherwise known as yet another reason why apps for individual sites are pointless at best.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.