Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm going to be applying for Veterinary medicine this year, and the uni's I'm considering are Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham, Surrey and possibly the RVC.

Work experience completed/booked so far:
    3 years at a riding school (1 year training to become a qualified horse riding instructor)
    1 week at a competition yard
    2 weeks at the blue cross horse unit
    1 week at a kennels
    1 week at a cattery
    1 week at a dairy farm
    2 weeks at DIFFERENT small animal vet practices
    1 week at a cat clinic
    1 week at a large animal vet practise

I know I don't have much farm work experience at the moment, and so I've just emailed loads of pig farms to get one week doing that hopefully, and also plan to get one day at a lab.
    However I was unable to get a lambing placement as I broke my arm at the dairy farm the week before after getting kicked by a cow! And so by the time i was recovered the lambing season was over :/ will this matter if i go to a pig farm instead?
    Is this enough work experience to get in? Ive also got a week at another large animal practise but thats not until february? Also i have literally no more time left other than the one week I'm using for the pig farm to do any more work experience! Considering going to an abattoir for the day, but only if this really isn't enough as its veryyyy far away from me!

Thanks!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goonieskellie)
    So I'm going to be applying for Veterinary medicine this year, and the uni's I'm considering are Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham, Surrey and possibly the RVC.

Work experience completed/booked so far:
    3 years at a riding school (1 year training to become a qualified horse riding instructor)
    1 week at a competition yard
    2 weeks at the blue cross horse unit
    1 week at a kennels
    1 week at a cattery
    1 week at a dairy farm
    2 weeks at DIFFERENT small animal vet practices
    1 week at a cat clinic
    1 week at a large animal vet practise

I know I don't have much farm work experience at the moment, and so I've just emailed loads of pig farms to get one week doing that hopefully, and also plan to get one day at a lab.
    However I was unable to get a lambing placement as I broke my arm at the dairy farm the week before after getting kicked by a cow! And so by the time i was recovered the lambing season was over :/ will this matter if i go to a pig farm instead?
    Is this enough work experience to get in? Ive also got a week at another large animal practise but thats not until february? Also i have literally no more time left other than the one week I'm using for the pig farm to do any more work experience! Considering going to an abattoir for the day, but only if this really isn't enough as its veryyyy far away from me!

Thanks!
    At the minute you don't meet Liverpool's minimum requirement for 4 weeks vet practise (before December). Can you fit something in during your October half term? Or do some weekend vet work? I'm not certain, but I suspect Liverpool may reject people if you don't meet their bare minimum of 4 weeks...

Lambing isn't essential, but a pig or poultry placement would be good as you are weaker on the farm side of things.

Going to an abattoir for a day would be quite beneficial since not everyone has this on their application and it really shows you the importance of vets in protecting public health. You only need to go for a day, I'd say it would be worth it.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Was the cat clinic a veterinary clinic? Were you working on the vet side? If so, I think you actually do have 4 weeks veterinary practice.

I thought lambing was actually strongly recommended, but silverstar is more experienced/a more recent applicant than I am. You have a good reason for not having it though, and maybe you could go lambing this spring?

I believe you cannot count work experience at your own or family farm. Also I think some unis put a camp on how much you can count one placement for. So I am not sure how much to count your 3 years experience with, especially if working as a riding instructor as that is less the husbandry side.

Most people go for 15 weeks +, especially for Liverpool. Because I don't know what to count your horse experience at, I am actually not sure how much you have. I agree that a pig farm or more food farm animal experience would be good.

Good luck!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarnia)
    Was the cat clinic a veterinary clinic? Were you working on the vet side? If so, I think you actually do have 4 weeks veterinary practice.

I thought lambing was actually strongly recommended, but silverstar is more experienced/a more recent applicant than I am. You have a good reason for not having it though, and maybe you could go lambing this spring?
    I must have glanced over the cat clinic bit, thanks for pointing this out!

Lambing is still desirable, but I have known a few students who have gotten into Liverpool vet school without it. I assume they would have had other farming experience to make up for it. And, as Tarnia already said, you have a pretty valid excuse! (I hope this experience hasn't put you off cattle too much, but at least you will be more wary next time)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.