Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Studied History at an okay red brick Uni (Needed AAA), graduated last summer with my high 2:1. Pretty bored currently, so ask me anything you like about studying History at University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by exhistorystudent)
    Studied History at an okay red brick Uni (Needed AAA), graduated last summer with my high 2:1. Pretty bored currently, so ask me anything you like about studying History at University.
    Well what sort of content did you study? I'm going to Uni this year doing mainly modern themes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArcticM.)
    Well what sort of content did you study? I'm going to Uni this year doing mainly modern themes

The first year, at least on my course, you study loads of different content. It ranges from medieval to very modern. And then as you progress through second and third years you you can narrow it down to what you're really interested in. So in third year I only had four modules and they were all on a pretty similar topic.

ReputationRep:
    How much reading per week?

ReputationRep:
    What was your final percentage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Add!ction)
    How much reading per week?
    Honestly it's as much as you want to do. You can get by with reading the two or three compulsory readings (normally a chapter or journal article) per seminar. But then if you wanted to there are normally loads more articles/chapters/whole books you can read too.

So you can spend 5-10 hours a week reading or 50. Whichever you fancy! If you read more during term you'll have less to do during exam periods though. But its perfectly doable to slack during term and just work very hard for 4-6 weeks a year and get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    67.5%

(Original post by leedswest)
    What was your final percentage?

ReputationRep:
    What job do you want/have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leedswest)
    What job do you want/have?
    Starting Sep 2015 working in Consulting in London.

ReputationRep:
    Starting Sep 2015 working in Consulting in London.
    Cool, well done!

ReputationRep:
    I'm very curious as to where you went...

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

What did you write your dissertation on? And how much of a step up is second & third year from first year?

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh Hi)
    Hey,

What did you write your dissertation on? And how much of a step up is second & third year from first year?

Cheers!
    1) It was on the objectivity of historians in a certain period.

2) Not much really, I think you tend to work harder naturally as you go through second and third year than first so you never really notice the step up

ReputationRep:

How easy was it finding a job?

ReputationRep:
    Have you got any tips for a personal statement, what sort of things should I include?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EloiseStar)
    How easy was it finding a job?
    Not very. Think that goes for anyone unless you went to Oxford/Cambridge though, even then its no walk in the park.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Violet97)
    Have you got any tips for a personal statement, what sort of things should I include?
    Why you're interested in History (obviously), I put something about how it got sparked in me from a very early age (a lie). Also put some terribly cringey quotes in my personal statement haha. I read it back the other day and it was horrible to read! Books you've read about History, what area interests you. Things like that.

ReputationRep:
    Not very. Think that goes for anyone unless you went to Oxford/Cambridge though, even then its no walk in the park.
    Did your uni offer anything to help career wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coffeetime)
    Did your uni offer anything to help career wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well all Unis have a career service you can use as much as you want. The History department did have some careers talks to.

One thing I wish i'd know about was the fact you could still do a year in Industry during your History degree in say a consultancy/accounting/marketing firm.

ReputationRep:
    Well all Unis have a career service you can use as much as you want. The History department did have some careers talks to.

One thing I wish i'd know about was the fact you could still do a year in Industry during your History degree in say a consultancy/accounting/marketing firm.
    This interest me; was that opportunity to do a year out in industry just an option at your uni or can you do it at any university?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.