Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

retake a2 exams? go to uni or change career path? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys/girls,

I am 20 years old and I have no idea what to do with my life anymore. I feel depressed and have gained a considerable amount of weight. I used to wear size10/12 but a year on I wear size 14/16. I have gone through a breakup and serious bullying this year at college.

I need some advice. After completing my GCSEs in school I decided to work for a year in retail (I also did some receptionist work in a law firm). The following year I studied AS but I got rubbish grades (sociology - grade C, psychology and law - both U's.) So I decided to re take my AS at another college; at the end I achieved BCD, however, I was fortunate enough that my teachers predicted me ABB for university to study law. I received 4/5 offers.
    University of Leeds -ABB (conditional offer)
    University of Liverpool - ABB (conditional offer)
    University of Leicester - AAB (conditional offer)
    University of Birmingham - AAB (withdrawn)
    Nottingham Trent University - BCC (conditional offer)

Firm: University of Leeds
    Insurance: University of Liverpool

The problem now arises - Both my firm and insurance require the same grades :/ .. Unfortunately, I know for a fact I failed at A2 this year.
    Recently, I have been suffering from mild depression and I can't help but comfort eat; my boyfriend of almost 3 years left me last year and he was honestly the man of dreams. I have tried to forget about him but these last few months have been really hard for me, I think about him every day and cry at night. I feel that this is the biggest reason for why I have messed up my A2 exams, I have never felt nervous in my exams but this June I had 2 emotional breakdowns and in my last exam I fell asleep because I stayed up revising for 2 whole nights. My ex is studying at University of Birmingham, which is why I decided to apply there also but then I withdrew it as an effort to try to forget him.
    On top of that, I was severely bullied at college by 4 girls who threatened to beat me up every time they saw me (almost everyday). I did my best to stand up to them but lost confidence and none of my friends stuck up for me, this ended when I left college because I never have to see them again. But this only aggravated the problem . I felt sooo lonely, depressed and hurt. I have a horrible relationship with my dad, he has anger issues and beats and swears at me til I'm numb.

I am now awaiting my A level results but I know I will be lucky if I can go through clearing. Furthermore, law is a difficult field to enter. So my question is, what should I do if I fail to get into university? My parents are very disappointed with me. They think the best option is for me to get a job and get married but I don't want to. I want to make them and myself proud, regain my confidence and strive with success in the legal field, as I feel I am capable. Can someone please offer me genuine advice on what they think I should do with my life.. Should I retake my A2 levels privately and hire a tutor? I apologise for such a lengthy message ..x

ReputationRep:
    Don't get yourself down.

I am 20 and have been through similar circumstances, due to a family situation I dropped out in my AS year, before deciding to work and travel for a while before enrolling, and completing a qualification this year.

I have also firmed the University of Leeds - and most universities will accept you with lower grades, depending on the popularity of the course, and the caliber of the interview (if you were asked to have one).

As far as I see it, you have three options:

you can either re-take A2 with a view to entering university next year.

Don't waste anymore time, and enroll onto an access to Leeds course (research this if it's new to you)

Get a job and study for a degree with the Open University.

Good luck, and PM me if you want to chat more as I can relate to your situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
    Don't get yourself down.

I am 20 and have been through similar circumstances, due to a family situation I dropped out in my AS year, before deciding to work and travel for a while before enrolling, and completing a qualification this year.

I have also firmed the University of Leeds - and most universities will accept you with lower grades, depending on the popularity of the course, and the caliber of the interview (if you were asked to have one).

Don't waste anymore time, and enroll onto an access to Leeds course (research this if it's new to you)

Good luck, and PM me if you want to chat more as I can relate to your situation.
    Ohh thank youuu so much for your response. I will look into the access to leeds course and get back to you. X

ReputationRep:
    If you do not want to take an Access course. I would recommend the Open University. I have done some short courses with the OU and a family member is doing her Masters course with the OU.

If would rather do the Access course part time it is possible to split it up over two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathyhelen)
    If you do not want to take an Access course. I would recommend the Open University. I have done some short courses with the OU and a family member is doing her Masters course with the OU.

If would rather do the Access course part time it is possible to split it up over two years.
    Is it possible to study an access course even though I just completed my a levels? I really want to go uni and move away from home thanks for your response x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈)
    Don't get yourself down.

Sorry do you mean Access to Leeds scheme? If so, then I have already applied for that this year .. it is such comfort knowing someone can relate to my situation, not that I would wish it upon anyone. If I retake a2, do you think that will hinder my chances of getting to a top uni next year, simply because I also retook my AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neesa-rani)
    Is it possible to study an access course even though I just completed my a levels? I really want to go uni and move away from home thanks for your response x
    Have you completed the whole A level or just AS?

There was someone on my course that said that they had already done a different degree but they wanted to change careers. They were accepted onto my Access course.

I think that you need to check with your local college. I am not 100% sure if my college is different to some of the other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neesa-rani)
    Sorry do you mean Access to Leeds scheme? If so, then I have already applied for that this year .. it is such comfort knowing someone can relate to my situation, not that I would wish it upon anyone. If I retake a2, do you think that will hinder my chances of getting to a top uni next year, simply because I also retook my AS?
    I'm not sure to be honest. a friend of mine retook A2 and still managed to get into a top Russell group university.

ReputationRep:
    First of all - sorry to hear your situation. I completely understand what difficulties you would have been through. Things that may not look that painful to other people can be so hurtful and often so depressing they affect all areas of your life.

Secondly, I would advise you to retake your A2 exams at a private centre and get a tutor if you need. Although you will have your notes etc which SHOULD be enough to get you a good grade but if you want extra help and feel like you can't do it by just using revision material you already have, then get a private tutor so you can have effective one to one sessions with.
    I retook two of my AS subjects at a private centre alongside my college subjects (because I wanted to go into my career choice so badly and I messed up those grades first time round).

I did have to have good time management and motivation to revise for them alongside my other subjects as I was doing them all by myself but hopefully you shouldn't have that problem It can be a bit expensive but it all depends on what units you are retaking and how many

So DONT feel depressed and go for any of the options that are available to you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation myself at the moment, but what I've learnt is that you should always do what you want to do, what will make you happy. Not what others expect of you, or what will make them happy. Live your own life, and do things that will make your life better, for you.

I'd probably recommend you retake your A2s (and maybe some AS's if you wanted) from home as a private candidate, perhaps hire a tutor to give yourself a better chance of getting good grades.

Meanwhile, it might be good for you to start dealing with your depressed feelings, etc - if you go to your doctor they can refer you to a mental health group which I found really helpful when I was at my worst. Or look into the forums & advice about mental health issues on here too?

Also, maybe try and get out there more - get some work experience related to the career you want (this will also look good on your CV and uni application!) or get a job - you'd meet new people and maybe make some friends. Maybe join some sports clubs or hobby groups to meet more people and feel better about things?

You can always message me if you want to talk more or whatever

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.