Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Whats your opinion on ... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Should lifestyle diseases be cured for free by the NHS?
    AND by free i mean the current way it is now.
    and yes i know its not currently free, its out of our taxes but i mean should the NHS have like a monthly membership?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Would you call the effects of depression as lifestyle 'diseases'?

ReputationRep:
    mmm, i think im trying to focus more on smoking and alcohol related diseasess..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajs)
    mmm, i think im trying to focus more on smoking and alcohol related diseasess..
    And if people drink because they're depressed or as a result of another mental disorder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    And if people drink because they're depressed or as a result of another mental disorder?
    Plenty of people suffer from depression and don't become alcoholics or drug addicts. There is no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajs)
    and yes i know its not currently free, its out of our taxes but i mean should the NHS have like a monthly membership?

thanks
    Yes they should.
    People make bad decisions in their life sometimes but that doesn't mean they deserve to die. And by making such people unable to get treatment if they cannot afford it then you kind of are just leaving them to die.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by hajs)

thanks
    I'd be inclined to ask...how can you monitor what constitutes a lifestyle disease and what doesn't? As in, where would you draw the line between people who drink, smokers, people who take part in an extreme hobby, motor accidents etc.? How would you decide who gets free treatment and who doesn't?

Most people pay their taxes. For smoking (and drinking, I think), I've read that smokers pay enough taxes through the cigarettes they buy etc. Also, I think that there are some rules already in place...for example, take drinking...I don't think that liver transplants are given to patients who are alcoholics and who show no sign that they'll stop (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, though).

So I disagree that we should make anyone pay for their healthcare.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, healthcare is the one area that should be devoid of judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajs)

thanks

Yes they should, because otherwise where do you draw the line? Almost every disease is a lifestyle disease to some extent.

ReputationRep:
    With medical care you cannot really pick sides. But i do think governments around the world should try to do a lot more work on trying to control the amount the junk that is distributed as food. Putting limits on serving sizes etc. Making exercise in school (including higher secondary) mandatory and things like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    I'd be inclined to ask...how can you monitor what constitutes a lifestyle disease and what doesn't? As in, where would you draw the line between people who drink, smokers, people who take part in an extreme hobby, motor accidents etc.? How would you decide who gets free treatment and who doesn't?

Most people pay their taxes. For smoking (and drinking, I think), I've read that smokers pay enough taxes through the cigarettes they buy etc. Also, I think that there are some rules already in place...for example, take drinking...I don't think that liver transplants are given to patients who are alcoholics and who show no sign that they'll stop (someone correct me on this if I'm wrong, though).

So I disagree that we should make anyone pay for their healthcare.

I'm pretty sure that is true in America, there are many people they won't give organs to if they believe it will be a waste as they'll just ruin another through their habits . I have no idea if we have the same policy here though.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'm pretty sure that is true in America, there are many people they won't give organs to if they believe it will be a waste as they'll just ruin another through their habits . I have no idea if we have the same policy here though.
    Managed to find this: http://www.odt.nhs.uk/pdf/introducti...n_policies.pdf

Have a look at 6.2 (Alcohol use).

It's not as definitive as I thought it was but I don't know :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    Managed to find this: http://www.odt.nhs.uk/pdf/introducti...n_policies.pdf

Have a look at 6.2 (Alcohol use).

It's not as definitive as I thought it was but I don't know :dontknow:
    Hmm, it may be more for the discretion of the patient's doctor and transplant team.

ReputationRep:
    They should just treat what's put in front of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hajs)
    I would argue, yes.

The whole point is that the NHS helps solve our medical conditions regardless of how we got them. You could equally argue that people should not get treatment for injuries from extreme sports. But the NHS should be trying to save lives.

I do however, think that a lot more can be done to try and prevent people from getting these conditions in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    THANK YOU EVERYBODY; ehhe really helped set me mind straight for my EPQ

ReputationRep:
    It's a very grey area

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    Not for free, no.
    They wouldn't learn any lessons if it was done for free.

ReputationRep:
    What do you consider as being lifestyle diseases? Provide a list.

ReputationRep:
    NHS is being milked too much, talk about milking the bull, feeding NHS with all tax money and its output and service is ...a sorry state

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.