Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best facial cleanser? BOOTS/Superdrug Watch

ReputationRep:
    Recently I have been having a serious breakout as well as dryness on my face.
    Due to exams, I neglected my daily skin routines and have lost all the moisture from my skin.
    My face has never experienced this and it is really annoying me as I will be going on holiday in 3 days and would love to go bare face.
    So I'd like to ask, which would be good for normal/dry skin type. Also recommend a toner and home-made scrub (big fan of these).

THANKS in advance.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

I tend to use the Simple range for gentle to skin alternatives, failing that if you want a scrub I use St Ives scrubs and a general toner from their own (Boots or Superdrug) ranges are just as good. I use a combination of a mask, scrub and moisturiser.

ReputationRep:
      DEFINITELY Neutrogena Visibly Clear Spot Stress Control, it's by far the best facial cleanser I've ever tried, and I've tried pretty much all products across the Neutrogena range. I really can't recommend this enough, it cleans beautifully, unlike anything else I've tried. Doesn't dry out my skin, and I use it daily. Available at Boots.

Also, the 2 in 1 wash & mask is decent, but I feel like it's a bit gimmicky, not sure if it's as effective as the one above.

ReputationRep:
      Biri recommended Somalian Cow Dung. :borat:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Quiet _One86)
      I tend to use the Simple range for gentle to skin alternatives, failing that if you want a scrub I use St Ives scrubs and a general toner from their own (Boots or Superdrug) ranges are just as good. I use a combination of a mask, scrub and moisturiser.
      Omg I forgot about St ives.
      I loved that! definitely going to be checking it out again!
      However simple has always been rejected by my skin, every time I try their products, my face starts to sting like bad.
      ugh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Simple = GOAT skincare

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stinkum)
      DEFINITELY Neutrogena Visibly Clear Spot Stress Control, it's by far the best facial cleanser I've ever tried, and I've tried pretty much all products across the Neutrogena range. I really can't recommend this enough, it cleans beautifully, unlike anything else I've tried. Doesn't dry out my skin, and I use it daily. Available at Boots.

Also, the 2 in 1 wash & mask is decent, but I feel like it's a bit gimmicky, not sure if it's as effective as the one above.
      Mhm, beautiful skin? ; O
      Is its main purpose, spot control or?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by missfats)
      Mhm, beautiful skin? ; O
      Is its main purpose, spot control or?

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Yeah, it's marketed as a product which specifically deals with spot breakouts, as well as being an excellent facial cleanser. Like I said, in my personal experience, it's so far ahead of anything else in the market. Here is a copy paste from boots.com:

Product description

A powerful creamy scrub to help clear spots... and make spots one less stress!
      Neutrogena Visibly Clear's formula with microbeads gently exfoliates dead skin cells whilst removing oil and dirt.
      The formula unclogs pores to penetrate deep down and help clear spots.
      Enriched with green tea and cucumber, Neutrogena Visibly Clear Spot Stress Control Daily Scrub soothes skin and is gentle enough for everyday use without over-drying.
      How to Use

In the morning and evening, squeeze a small dab into palm, and massage onto wet face.
      Rinse thoroughly.
      Avoid contact with eyes. Should eye contact occur, rinse well with water. For external use only.

ReputationRep:
      Recently I have been having a serious breakout as well as dryness on my face.
      Due to exams, I neglected my daily skin routines and have lost all the moisture from my skin.
      My face has never experienced this and it is really annoying me as I will be going on holiday in 3 days and would love to go bare face.
      So I'd like to ask, which would be good for normal/dry skin type. Also recommend a toner and home-made scrub (big fan of these).

THANKS in advance.
      Posted from TSR Mobile

The only thing you are fond of is a BBC.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Stinkum)
      Yeah, it's marketed as a product which specifically deals with spot breakouts, as well as being an excellent facial cleanser. Like I said, in my personal experience, it's so far ahead of anything else in the market. Here is a copy paste from boots.com:

Product description

A powerful creamy scrub to help clear spots... and make spots one less stress!
      Neutrogena Visibly Clear's formula with microbeads gently exfoliates dead skin cells whilst removing oil and dirt.
      The formula unclogs pores to penetrate deep down and help clear spots.
      Enriched with green tea and cucumber, Neutrogena Visibly Clear Spot Stree Control Daily Scrub soothes skin and is gentle enough for everyday use without over-drying.
      How to Use

In the morning and evening, squeeze a small dab into palm, and massage onto wet face.
      Rince thoroughly.
      Avoid contact with eyes. Should eye contact occur, rinse well with water. For external use only.
      £ 3.40p :coma: so cheap.

I am so gassed reading the reviews, 4.5/5. Will be definitely buying aswell! I will update to you when I have used it, don't disappoint me aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      The tears of Argentinian fans on Sunday.

ReputationRep:
      £ 3.40p :coma: so cheap.

I am so gassed reading the reviews, 4.5/5. Will be definitely buying aswell! I will update to you when I have used it, don't disappoint me aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      I can't guarantee you'll like it, different people have different tastes. But for me, it's absolutely amazing, definitely gets top marks. There's nothing else that comes close. You don't need to use that much of it at one time, and it cleans superbly. Leaves skin really smooth and refreshed, it's brilliant. Takes a bit of effort to rinse off though. But definitely give it a go, I think you'll be amazed.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by So Instinct)
      The tears of Argentinian fans on Sunday.
      you mean crys of rejoice on Sunday lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      you mean crys of rejoice on Sunday lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      No, that is not what I meant.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by So Instinct)
      No, that is not what I meant.
      how much you bet? aha.

we will see.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      Big up St. Ives for cost vs. quality!

I also love the Garnier scrubs - most contain Salicylic Acid:

This is a common ingredient in many skincare products and appears in concentrations of 2% in Garnier’s new charcoal scrub. Salicylic acid has desmolytic properties, meaning that it aids the breaking down and shedding of the connective tissues in our skin. By helping our skin to shed, this reduces the chances of blocked pores and infections and other things that aren’t ideal when we’re trying to look our best, leaving behind newer, clearer skin.

For similar reasons, salicylic acid helps to eliminate blemishes, and even helps to reduce long-term scarring. Therefore, it not only prevents skin problems but actually combats previous damage!
      So this is always something I keep an eye out for on ingredient lists!

For a holiday moisturizer, I LOVE the Simple Oil Balancing Moisturizer. Can seem a little pricey at time (nearly a fiver) but Simple always seems to have some sort of offer on. This is great, cause you can keep applying it without having to worry about shine. I kept it in my bag the whole time on holiday and it's so handy if I feel a little dry patch cause I don't have to worry about looking super shiny!

Toner-wise, don't splash out, they all tend to do a pretty much the same job. L'Oreal Purifying Micellar Water is VERY good, reminds me of Bioderma. Or on the cheaper end of the scale, Morrisons own Vitamin E toner is a miracle worker!

ReputationRep:
      ARTISTRY essentials Hydrating System (normal-to-dry skin)

Try this, one of the best

ReputationRep:
      Hey there! As already mentioned above, I would suggest Simple skincare if you are watching the pennies but it tends to be a little ineffective as it lacks in active ingredients. I would wholly advise against brands like neutrogena and clearasil as they contain chemicals which strip natural oils away from the face, resulting in the overproduction of oils and subsequent breakouts. My favourite brand is actually Lancome - their cleansers are so gentle that there really is little need to tone which means that although you spend slightly more, you are actually simplifying your regime. I would also add that experimenting with facial products can lead to mini-breakouts which are the result of your skin adjusting to the new products, so stick with it (I hope that didn't sound patronising at all!)

Oh and as someone has already mentioned, cleansing waters are a dream (particulalrly as they are designed for very sensitive skin). Bioderma and L'Oreal are both great (although I think Bioderma is more difficult to get a-hold of here in the UK). Alternatively, Clarins do a great 1 step cleansing water which both cleanses and tones at the same time

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by u_ahmed94)
      Biri recommended Somalian Cow Dung. :borat:
      Lmaooo why are you doing this to me?! :cry2:

ReputationRep:
      Cetaphil - Amazing cleanser but I'm not too sure if it'll dry out your skin further.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.