Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I pay to volunteer abroad? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can pay something like £300 with a volunteering company for a teaching position in Thailand, only temporary, but all the accom is taken care of.

However, I wouldn't be paid for it as its only volunteering.

It would be great to have this on my CV, as I want to teach abroad anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford the opportunity, then go. It'll be a one in a lifetime moment so don't miss out.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to. I've heard there are places (Cambodia maybe.. I can't remember?) in South East Asia where it's very easy to get a paid teaching gig if you're white even if you don't have TFL etc but these places aren't that nice. Have a look into it. Remember you've got to pay to get to Thailand too which is very expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you volunteering ? Why not do it in your own locality helping people in your community rather than go abroad ?

But if your not strictly in it to just help people AND you also want a unique experience then go abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why not do EVS instead? They pay 90% of your plane fare and give you a subsistence :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who?Knows)
    Why not do EVS instead? They pay 90% of your plane fare and give you a subsistence :/
    What's EVS, Bruv?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    Why are you volunteering ? Why not do it in your own locality helping people in your community rather than go abroad ?

But if your not strictly in it to just help people AND you also want a unique experience then go abroad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am volunteering because I am not qualified to do anything. Nobody would employ me to teach, let alone stack a shelf in a Waitrose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    What's EVS, Bruv?
    Google is your friend.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/study-...lunteer-europe

ReputationRep:
    You could if you have the money to spare, it would certainly be a good opportunity, but if not then take a look around and there are probably other options to volunteer for free or where they would pay you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haksaeng)
    You could if you have the money to spare, it would certainly be a good opportunity, but if not then take a look around and there are probably other options to volunteer for free or where they would pay you!
    Pay me? That's not what volunteering means! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    There are plenty of places you could get a job once you're out there. Bit of a risk I know but I met plenty of people who were on TFEL courses/jobs whilst I was travelling SE Asia.

ReputationRep:
    I can pay something like £300 with a volunteering company for a teaching position in Thailand, only temporary, but all the accom is taken care of.

http://www.latinomics.org/en/fmp/sweet-second/
    I think it's maybe a good choice for you. You not only volunteer abroad and teach for children but also have chance to visit many places. They're providing 2 trips/month for volunteer. You can see and think about it

ReputationRep:

Hey,

i definitely think you should not pay for a volunteering job. I also found many places where they wanted me to cover all my expenses.

I found a really interesting place in Denmark, what is between volunteering, travelling and getting a degree. It is really interesting place and many people has many opinions about it, but i found it amazing. Here you can do so many things, what you have never dreamt about. It is a three year program, first year going to Africa by bus, finding some volunteering actions as well inbetween, second year living in an European city and sharing your experiences, summer you can choose something for 3 months, third year teaching practice in Denmark or where you can find a place which pays a small salary for you.
    For me it is something,maybe for you as well. If you have further questions, you can contact me have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    Have you had a look on Workaway an Helpx...? No need to pay, and most include accomadation and food, you just have to spend a while looking for exactly what you want

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I always think these pay to volunteer things are just ridiculous and in some cases its just a damn right scam. As far as teaching goes in Asia because of the large demand for teachers I would say that a lot of these so called volunteer companies and I know for fact about agencies taking money from you or the school so you may be a volunteer but that does not mean that the company you work for is not getting paid (my experience is they will be getting paid something) so to pay money on top of that is absurd. This is not all companies im sure but most of them. As far as teaching in Asia goes there are plenty of jobs and even without any qualifications you can get a teaching job with normal pay it just depends. I have met many illegal teachers here in China in fairness some were actually good teachers just didn't have the degree but then again illegal teachers are also known for being very bad and bring about a bad image on the industry.

I would advise, jumping on a plane to wherever you want to go, sort out a hotel/hostel for a few weeks or whatever see the area and some schools or companies. At the very least you will get a job teaching no problem if you are volunteering with no money being paid (still actually not sure on the legal status of that, it differs and some countries are stricter about it). Once you arrive its very easy to find a job whether paid or volunteer work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.