Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really scared for next year (sixth form)
    My parents basically chose my A-level options for me without giving me an option to express what I wanted to do. I want to be a doctor when I'm older ans hence wanted to study Bio, Chem, Spanish and English. My dad works in the nhs and says the sciences are useless and business and finance is where the money is. I'm not a money driven person and I really enjoy the sciences and it's what I want to do. He won't let me choose my options and is making me do maths, business, economics and politics. I suck at math and don't want to struggle for the next 2 years and get a crap grade! I really have no interest in business and finance and all else my dad wants me to do! Help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOneLegendAdz)
    My parents basically chose my A-level options for me without giving me an option to express what I wanted to do. I want to be a doctor when I'm older ans hence wanted to study Bio, Chem, Spanish and English. My dad works in the nhs and says the sciences are useless and business and finance is where the money is. I'm not a money driven person and I really enjoy the sciences and it's what I want to do. He won't let me choose my options and is making me do maths, business, economics and politics. I suck at math and don't want to struggle for the next 2 years and get a crap grade! I really have no interest in business and finance and all else my dad wants me to do! Help
    You pick your options not your parents just say what you want to study when you enrol and the college will take what you want to do.There is also a good opportunity for a compromise because Maths is very important for being a doctor and whilst not essential for Medicine it is very liked by universities for Medicine either Maths or Physics along with Biology and Chemistry is ideal for Medicine which leaves one option free.Your dad clearly doesn't know what he is doing because you don't really need business a level to get into business hence why it is not respected and he has picked two unrespected subjects business and politics.Are you really sure you want to be a doctor? because all sciences generally require a lot of maths skills.

ReputationRep:
    No point picking both business and economics. It's easy for people to just say 'pick the subjects you want to' because life isn't as simple when you're the person in the predicament. So, pick bio, chem, maths and/or econ and it will keep both med and finance/econ (the latter to keep your parents happy)

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently going for economics and trade in uni. How i see it, business is just a generic foundation to get into any job etc.. however if you do specific courses to aid your later life then you should do it. As you said doing specific courses to become a doctor will get you there than you having to try hard in business then moving to another path. I just finished college and i want you to do your best you can and don't mess around in the two years, even though it's hard, keep pushing through

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys!! I'm really scared to approach my parents about what I want to study They'll just beat the topic down and say No this is the path you take They're really strict and don't allow me much freedom in my life I just want to do subjects I enjoy and I think I'm relatively good at. I hate the subjects my parents chose and don't think they're for me

ReputationRep:
    Look, obviously your in a difficult situation, but if there's anyone you can trust at school then you need to speak to them about it. It's your life and you choices, at the end of the day if you don't enjoy those subjects you are going to fail them, simple as that; and your parents would probably be angry about that too. If you explain the situation to your school/college I'm sure they'd be willing to help you through it

ReputationRep:
    In my college, at least in the first couple of weeks, they let people move around their subjects if they didnt find they were working out, hopefully you could do the same if you really can't get along with your subjects. Hopefully you can get to do the subjects you like

ReputationRep:
    dude it really is your choice, and if you really dont want to do those subjects, go to the school and tell them about your situation, and that you want to change your subject choices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOneLegendAdz)
    Word of warning, this subject combination is not only not what you want to do, but also not a good idea at all (it'll kill off your chances of getting into Medicine straightaway, for a start). Doing a combination both of business and economics is a very bad idea, there's way too much overlap and business studies is regarded as a 'soft' subject. With all respect, your dad clearly doesn't know what he's on about with regards to A level choices. I recommend you read the informed choices booklet: www.russellgroup.ac.uk/informed-choices/ and/or this list of acceptable A level combinations from Trinity College Cambridge: https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

If you aspire to be a doctor, the classic Maths Biology Chemistry Physics combination would be your best bet. AS Maths is pretty important but you can drop it for A2 if you want. You could swap physics for englit or a foreign language too. But your parents are just plain wrong here, not only are they forcing you to do subjects you don't want to, but they're forcing you to choose a combination of subjects that'll put you at a disadvantage later. Explain your situation to your school/college, and get your teachers to back you up if you need to

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys!! I'm explaining my situation to the school and the issues are being resolved! Thank you to everyone who commented and helped me out! x

ReputationRep:
    This eliminates the entire point of it all. Wheres your independence? Seriously, they need to wake up and realise that this is your choice. They have no right in choosing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.