Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong forum area, I couldn't think of anywhere it fitted in!
    I've applied to uni to study chemical engineering, but I'm not sure I'll get the grades needed to get into my first choice university. I'm thinking of taking a year in industry placement starting in sept 14 and reapplying. I'm not really worried about starting the placement itself, but since I live in the middle of nowhere there are no placements that I could do without having to move away from home. (The closest available is over an hour away and I haven't passed my driving test yet so staying at home isn't really possible)
    I was wondering if anyone else has done the year in industry, did anyone have to move away from home and how did they find that? I wouldn't even know where to start - how do I find a house? Meet new friends? Function as a normal human being outside of the education system?
    Also more generally, what sort of things does the year in industry placement involve?

ReputationRep:
    What's your uni insurance. Is it somewhere where you kind see your self studying? Taking a gap year when you are not planning to resit any exams or do some travelling for chemical engineering is just a waste of time. You won't learn much from the work experience without background knowledge. Many places only have work placements for second year students. If you miss out on your offers, why not enter clearing and see what uni's are available. Lots of good accredited uni's go into clearing. Anyway that's my plan b if i miss out on my offers. Also a chem eng applicant.

ReputationRep:
    My insurance is Leeds university, my offer is AA and I'm not worried about missing that but Imperial college is asking for A*AA and I'm not sure I'll make the A*. I don't know if I could see myself at Leeds, so if I take a year out I can reapply next year to Imperial. I know most people say that a gap year isn't necessary but this is a scheme that was actually brought to my attention by Imperial so it's something they support as a gap year placement. Anyway the placements themselves are quite relevant and I've actually found some that I can do without needing to move away so it's pretty much resolved anyway thanks for replying though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EveryNameIsTaken)
    My insurance is Leeds university, my offer is AA and I'm not worried about missing that but Imperial college is asking for A*AA and I'm not sure I'll make the A*. I don't know if I could see myself at Leeds, so if I take a year out I can reapply next year to Imperial. I know most people say that a gap year isn't necessary but this is a scheme that was actually brought to my attention by Imperial so it's something they support as a gap year placement. Anyway the placements themselves are quite relevant and I've actually found some that I can do without needing to move away so it's pretty much resolved anyway thanks for replying though.
    Have you checked what Imperials policy is on retakes? And you meet new friends in work, sometimes these places take on several young people or other times you just make friends with the (older) workers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.