Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I hope to go into Investment Banking or the Hedge Fund Industry and I was wondering whether an Economics degree at undergraduate level would be more or less useful than an Accountancy degree at the same level? Which would be more common in this industry? Obviously, I need to be fluent in the language of Financials, etc., but I am wondering whether it would be necessarily true that an Economics degree would be useful or have a 'status'?

I have only just started to think about the prospect of Accountancy instead of Economics. Please feel free to suggest of any other degrees that may be of any use also, e.g. Maths, etc.

Please tell me your thoughts and / or direct me to anywhere I could find more knowledge on Accountancy and degrees in Accountancy, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Economics would be better, less stigma than accountancy. Though it really doesn't matter so long as you are studying at a target institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tokyoround)
    Economics would be better, less stigma than accountancy. Though it really doesn't matter so long as you are studying at a target institution.

Ah okay, thanks! Yes, I have heard that the major or concentration doesn't really matter as long as you are studying at a top university.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walkers38)
    It doesn't matter anyway.
    Okay, thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.