Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

September 2014 Year 10's: Year 11 GCSE student, ask away! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've just sat 17 GCSE exams and would be happy to answer any questions you have and offer any advice to people starting their GCSE's. I have friends who took all different subjects so don't be put off if I haven't study your subject and don't think I won't be able to help/advise/answer your question(s)!

I studied History, German, Business Studies, Textiles Technology, English Language, English Literature, Religious Studies, Mathematics and Core & Additional Science.

I will try and be as helpful as possible

ReputationRep:
    What time is a good time to start revising? And how much time did you spend revising a day on study leave/weekends etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did you find English Language? I'm taking it next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    What time is a good time to start revising? And how much time did you spend revising a day on study leave/weekends etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't break up from school until my last few papers so I didn't really have study-leave. This is very much something that is specific to each individual. Sometimes, doing it in the week of the exam works best for people because they have so much going on, they don't take enough in and it becomes a waste of time to get into a routine etc.etc.

I would spend a long time revising but that's because when I get into it, I take more and more in as time increases. That was just how I was built. I would suggest, for the average person who revises best over long periods of time, to start revising around christmas time for your mock exams if you have them and then continue to do little bits at your leisure but then come march, really begin to study heavily and to be honest, at however many hours suit you. If you study with music and it works for you then do that. Explore all your options so it is best to start early so you can figure out what's best. However, you MUST work hard in year ten, even though it is not your exam year. Coursework and such can really have a bearing on your end-result. Take it all very seriously and work hard but find a nice balance between your social life and school life.

Good luck and I hope this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you don't even have to revise for GCSEs to get A's. Start revising the week before and you'll be fine.
    [Apologies for replying to a question in someone else's thread]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    you don't even have to revise for GCSEs to get A's. Start revising the week before and you'll be fine.
    [Apologies for replying to a question in someone else's thread]
    Depends upon the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shmxsz)
    How did you find English Language? I'm taking it next year.
    English Language can have some very interesting units/modules and areas of study but can also be incredibly irrelevant and boring. I found most of it quite dry and unnecessary but everything you do for the exam is very interesting; it's incredibly fascinating to read into and discover the hidden meanings behind what's been said in a text and so on. I loved English. However, as I said, there are some bits that are very dry and you just have to chug through.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy English Language.

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to ask more than one question!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was wondering which GCSEs you found the most difficult? And how do you revise for exams?
    And I know year 11's are getting their results soon, so good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bonnie_x)
    Hi,

I was wondering which GCSEs you found the most difficult? And how do you revise for exams?
    And I know year 11's are getting their results soon, so good luck!
    Hello!

First off, thank you for the good luck wish. As I stated in the opening post of the thread, I studied History, German, Business Studies, Textiles Technology, English Language, English Literature, Religious Studies, Mathematics, Core Science and Additional Science.

I found Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics (only for additional science) the most difficult. I revised for exams in numerous ways. I only found past papers helpful for Mathematics. I studied, for science, by watching MyGCSE-Science on Youtube and I used flash cards with small but detailed notes for every subject. I find them very useful and I can revise for long periods of time without breaks and take it all in. I decided that starting very early would be a waste of time for me because it just wouldn't go in.

I hope that helps; be sure to ask any questions you may have and as many as you like!

ReputationRep:
    *Bump*

ReputationRep:
    Best method to revise for controlled assessment in Modern Foreign Languages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caver)
    Best method to revise for controlled assessment in Modern Foreign Languages?
    Written or Spoken?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    Written or Spoken?
    both

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    Hey, I've just sat 17 GCSE exams and would be happy to answer any questions you have and offer any advice to people starting their GCSE's. I have friends who took all different subjects so don't be put off if I haven't study your subject and don't think I won't be able to help/advise/answer your question(s)!

I studied History, German, Business Studies, Textiles Technology, English Language, English Literature, Religious Studies, Mathematics and Core & Additional Science.

I will try and be as helpful as possible
    What boards were you on for RS and History?
    What texts did you focus on in English Lit?
    How did you find the workload for History and did you enjoy it?
    How do you suggest revising for Science?

Sorry for all the questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caver)
    both
    Well. I did German and found that learning things line by line really worked. For our classes, we devised an essay if you like of what we were going to be writing on the day and learned it.

Learn things a line at a time, practise writing it out, use look-cover-write-check and for speak specifically, practise with a friend and practise spontaneous speech (random speech such as hello, how are you, and so on).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
    What boards were you on for RS and History?
    What texts did you focus on in English Lit?
    How did you find the workload for History and did you enjoy it?
    How do you suggest revising for Science?

Sorry for all the questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The questions are fine, that's what the thread is for!

For Religious Education I was on Edexcel (Mark's Gospel and Religion and Life - Christianity) and for History, AQA B!

English Literature was Of Mice and Men & Great Expectations (for the exam) with An Inspector Calls and Merchant of Venice for coursework.

I loved History. It's what I want to do for a degree. The workload isn't heavy at all as long as you get it done when it needs to be done. It's a lot of note taking and essay writing.

For science, I found flash cards, youtube videos from MyGCSE-Science and before the exams, past papers, to be of good use. Flash Cards are excellent because you really need to know the detail in Science.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barneyyy)
    http://throughapupilseyes.yolasite.com is amazing for advice and help about GCSEs and A Levels.
    Yes. This is a good site; thanks for linking.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.