Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Deleted

ReputationRep:
    What doubts do you have? And why is it such a bad thing to become qualified at 31?

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna do medicine do it! I have a degree in a non medical related field, I then worked in sals for 2 years, I'm now turning 24 this yr and retook my maths GCSE this summer to hopefully up from a C to a B. If I get the B in my results in August I have a place to study access to dentistry at manchester college and then the next hurdle in getting into uni. Ill more than likely be 31 by the time i graduate but those yrs will pass whether you do it or not. Jus look back at how fast the last 5 yrs have gone for example.
    Do itttttttttt

(Original post by Sam00)
    Hi, I've held a place to study Mental Health Nursing since 2014, I was due to start in March 2014, but I then deferred it to September 2014 as I just got a full time job as a Medical Laboratory Assistant (Pathology/Microbiology) and wanted to gain some experience in the NHS whilst save some pennies.

As the course is just around the corner, I really don't know what to do, things have changed since then, I don't want to stay in my current job because there is no progression and it's not that fun, I have a job interview for a Trainee Pharmacy Technician next week which is a Band 4 and looks ok, but it's a 2 year apprenticeship and I'd rather be an actual Pharmacist, plus there are no guarantee's I'll get it.

On the other hand medicine is my biggest desire but I would need to sit an Access to Medicine Diploma to be eligible, but before that I'd need a GCSE grade B in Maths, so I wouldn't be able to apply for the Access until September 2015 and then Medicine until September 2016, meaning it would be 2021 by the time I became a Doctor making me 31 by the time I was qualified. Plus there is too much doubt

Really don't know what to do, please help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam00)
    My doubts about medicine are that its fiercely competitive, being accepted is like a game of roulette and I don't know if I have the educational or personal qualities to be considered. However its the only healthcare profession which really appeals to me due to the in depth knowledge I will gain about the human body, disease etc which I love to learn about.

Nursing although healthcare related would only provide me with limited scientific knowledge and my career would be based around achieving targets on wards and sacrificing what I think is acceptable in order to satisfy managers of wards which could mean patients are not treated adequately yet that would be accepted and Id be left with it on my conscience
    Do you think doing medicine you wouldn't have targets? Surgery.. how many you can do in a day. Surgery by this time, how many you can treat privately / nhs. It goes on. There are targets in every job, whether it be retail, hospitality, healthcare etc.
    If you want to do medicine and are so passionate about it then do it. Don't embark on a course you are not going to put 110% into. Especially when you are dealing with vulnerable people. It isn't fair on either party.
    However if you seem to have such little confidence in yourself and what you want to do then you may as well do nothing. When dealing with people you need to be passionate, knowledgeable and most of all want to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.