Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hear very mixed opinions on Hertfordshire University.
    Some bad comments being its an ex polytechnic uni?
    Have people had success with getting a job after leaving Herts?
    In general is it a good university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveowl)
    Yes it is an ex polytechnic, but the only time I hear it being brought up as a negative point is usually by snobs on this site. It makes little difference on the University.

Herts climbed 45 places on the DLHE survey this year to 93.2% of Graduates in work 6 months after graduation. I'm graduating this year and while I haven't started my job search just yet, a lot of my friends are getting work and we've not even had our graduation yet. (This is also dependent on what industry you're getting into as a side point.)

Everyone has different experiences, I know of people who dropped out after 3 days, 5 months or 2 years because they didn't like their course, the area, or had other problems. On the other hand, there's thousands of other former students like me who wouldn't have changed the last 3 years for anything. I loved every minute of my degree.

It's certainly getting better, it's climbed 16 places in the league tables in a single year. We're getting higher employment rates amongst other things. I think it's a good University personally.

ReputationRep:
    well it's one of the top unis in Europe for 3D animation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveowl)

To answer this question truthfully I would need to know what you consider a "good" university.

If you mean in terms of ranking then it is marked as average. If you mean in terms of teaching, learning etc then it would depend on the degree that you are doing.

I study Molecular biology and genetics (course is now just molecular biology). The university is ranked average for sciences. The teaching is good, most teachers are there if you need them and the work is fine.

I feel pretty confident that by the time I graduate next year I would have a good understanding of my degree.

Currently, I'm on an internship year at Public Health England. Need I say more :P

ReputationRep:
    LOL

Does the Pope **** in the woods?

ReputationRep:
    Well they did rise in The Guardian University rakings in June so they must be doing something right tbh.
    http://www.herts.ac.uk/about-us/news...rdian-rankings

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.