Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Moving out/living alone Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've been thinking of moving out and living alone, as stated in above.

Things are pretty bad at home - I'm constantly arguing with my mother over really small and petty things, and seeing as it's only is in the house, there's no one to 'mediate'. I'm currently 16 and will be starting A-Levels in September. I'm afraid this domestic situation will affect my A-level studies as it has my GCSEs (awaiting results in August).

I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences they could share, and/or any advice someone can give. The aforesaid reason doesn't really go beyond the skin of the situation, but it'd be too long to explain every detail.

Thank you, in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely recommend against living with your significant other until you're both comfortably working and at a steady point in your lives. You've also already told us that it's affecting your results and the fact that you're questioning whether you ought to move away is a pretty good indication that you should. Remember, you're significant other may affect your whole life but your grades, or at least a product of them, will be.

As for living alone, it may knock you back a bit. It's draining, having to do all the housework and cooking yourself and balance work at the same time. This is especially true if you're going to be bound to hours demanded by your work or school. Besides that, there are bills to consider. Try not to put yourself in a position where you have to juggle and get used to too many things at once, take your time and get used to things. See if you can move in with family or maybe close friends for now and consider other options when you get a little older and have a stable income.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOriginalAng)
    I'd definitely recommend against living with your significant other until you're both comfortably working and at a steady point in your lives. You've also already told us that it's affecting your results and the fact that you're questioning whether you ought to move away is a pretty good indication that you should. Remember, you're significant other may affect your whole life but your grades, or at least a product of them, will be.

As for living alone, it may knock you back a bit. It's draining, having to do all the housework and cooking yourself and balance work at the same time. This is especially true if you're going to be bound to hours demanded by your work or school. Besides that, there are bills to consider. Try not to put yourself in a position where you have to juggle and get used to too many things at once, take your time and get used to things. See if you can move in with family or maybe close friends for now and consider other options when you get a little older and have a stable income.

Good luck
    Thank you for the advice. I must apologise, "my other" should've read "my mother" (now been edited).

I've chosen pretty time consuming options for next year (but subjects I adore) and I probably won't be receiving much (if any) financial support, other than from the local authority, which means getting the Social involved. With the some of the courses being after-school, I'll really only be able to work at weekends, which means, unless I'm a successful businessman, I'll struggle to pay anything.
    I've put up with it for 16 years, maybe I'll just go into hibernation for the next 2 until uni.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattvr)
    Thank you for the advice. I must apologise, "my other" should've read "my mother" (now been edited).

I've chosen pretty time consuming options for next year (but subjects I adore) and I probably won't be receiving much (if any) financial support, other than from the local authority, which means getting the Social involved. With the some of the courses being after-school, I'll really only be able to work at weekends, which means, unless I'm a successful businessman, I'll struggle to pay anything.
    I've put up with it for 16 years, maybe I'll just go into hibernation for the next 2 until uni.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, that makes more sense lol

Is there anyone else who you might be able to live with, Grandparents, Aunts and Uncles? If not, it honestly might be worth just gritting your teeth and getting through the 2 years. They really do pass quickly. Also, if you use your house just to crash and spend most of the day at school, friends' houses or just out, it might not be so bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.