The Student Room Group

Your ex switches sexual orientation after dating you, how do you feel?

You dated someone and they may be bi, gay or straight, after dating you they realise they like the opposite sex to you and only the opposite sex, how do you feel?
I've had it happen and for me I was happy for them but I was like "was it something I did? how did you come to that conclusion from dating me?"
(edited 9 years ago)
I haven't had this happen to me, but I wouldn't assume it was something I did because sexual orientation is a predisposition. It is more likely that they were confused about their sexuality and being with you made them realise that they weren't attracted to that sex (doesn't mean that you're not attractive, it's just a wake-up call for someone who fancies another sex).
Not gonna lie I would question my abilities a little but I'd be happy for them. It must be tough being confused about your sexuality and I'd still be supportive. :smile:
It did actually happen to me haha. But that was the reason we split, because he felt he needed to "try something different" after being on the fence for a while.

But then it was pretty easy to deflect any comments that came my way, "my man left because he wanted a guy, fair enough, but your man left because he found a better girl" ...that usually shut people up.
Reply 4
My Dad would never let me live it down. He'd find something like that hilarious. I'd probably be fine though, being got rid of due to confusion rather than being surpassed is a different but in some ways better.
I would find it pretty amusing tbh. Obviously if it had been a serious relationship I might be a bit lost afterwards
Would be a little confused but after a while I think id be okay with it.
Reply 7
Because sexuality isn't a choice, it could never be something that you've done 'wrong' or 'badly' or anything like that. It might just be that they are finding it hard to know exactly what their sexuality is, or they needed time to realise it or something. I've read somewhere that sexuality can change throughout your life so it may just be that. Whatever it is, it wouldn't be because of you. Don't worry!
Reply 8
do I bat do I ball?,,confused.com
It would make it less hard when they started seeing other people. If I split up with my boyfriend and he started going out with another girl, I'd compare myself to her and wonder what she had that I didn't have, and it would really get me down. But if he left me for a guy, I'd at least know there wasn't really anything else I could do and it would be much easier to accept it and move on.
My stepfather's first wife left him after realising she was a lesbian, he says it made it easier than if she'd left him for another guy?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending