Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do people drive before they pass their test?! Watch

ReputationRep:
    I was arguing with my dad earlier, claiming that a lot of people my age had insurance on their cars bought for them by their parents or their parents' cars etc and he said it wasn't possible!

So how can I drive/practise (given I have a licensed adult with me)?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they go to the industrial estate and practice...without insurance? :ninja:

More importantly...Can I ask the origins of your username? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Professional instructors have insurance that covers any learner, but of course paying for lessons is probably just as expensive as paying for insurance. If it's about money, you might have to either get a weekend job, or wait until later.

ReputationRep:
    They have cars and they are insured on them - they can only drive them with an adult holding a license for min 3 years but my dad claims you can't get insurance until you've passed?

(Original post by Keoje)
    Maybe they go to the industrial estate and practice...without insurance? :ninja:

More importantly...Can I ask the origins of your username? :beard:
    Divergent :rolleyes: fave book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erudite)
    Divergent :rolleyes: fave book
    I took a gamble and thought it might be a from a particular game but ah wells

ReputationRep:
    You can get provisional learner insurance, which is very reasonable compared to the insurance quotes you're going to get as new, young driver.

ReputationRep:
    Learner insurance. I bought 12 weeks for £180 and spent most of the time in my own car until that broke down and then switched to my dad's MX-5. As long as the car's not in an extremely high insurance group you'll be able to insure it.

https://www.collingwoodlearners.co.uk/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.