Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be studying econ at UCL next year, and I'm hoping to get some advice from current students!

Some questions:
    How heavy is the course load?
    About how many hours a day or week do you study?
    Do you have lots of free time?
    Which classes are the best/worst?
    Recommend any professors or tutors?
    Anything to watch out for?
    Things you wish people had told you before you started the course/uni?
    Best/worst things you have experienced?
    What did you choose for the elective courses?

I heard from a third year boy studying biochemistry that he felt like the econ people were always having fun and not studying as much, but I doubt that this is true.

I know that many of these questions are very subjective and it depends on each student, but please give your opinion!

Also, if you are a new student like me, please comment!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, new student there, doing L100 Econ (I come from France).
    We may see each other next year.
    If somebody has answers to the question this guy asked, then I'm interested as well.

ReputationRep:
    Just finished first year Econs.

First term is pretty chill, then it gets harder closer to exam week.

I study everyday - asian

ironically yes

I love micro and applied econs classes. worst class was stats because our professor was terrible.

they are equally good except our stats professor

econ1008 - pretty hard module

none - you learn along the way

accounting for business - msin6004
    world economy - terrible module

ReputationRep:
    What subjects and grades did you get for your a-levels? I really want to go ucl and do economics but I doubt I'll get in

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slim Shady 96)
    What subjects and grades did you get for your a-levels? I really want to go ucl and do economics but I doubt I'll get in

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I took IB not A levels.
    English lit, econ, and maths at higher level and history, French, and physics at standard level. I got a 44 out of 45 but the offer was 39 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarSurvivor)
    I took IB not A levels.
    English lit, econ, and maths at higher level and history, French, and physics at standard level. I got a 44 out of 45 but the offer was 39 I think.
    Ahh that's great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnApple)
    Just finished first year Econs.

First term is pretty chill, then it gets harder closer to exam week.

I study everyday - asian

ironically yes

I love micro and applied econs classes. worst class was stats because our professor was terrible.

they are equally good except our stats professor

econ1008 - pretty hard module

none - you learn along the way

accounting for business - msin6004
    world economy - terrible module

Hey I am a 2nd year student at UCL and am considering taking msin6004 as one of my elective modules. I just wanted to ask did you enjoy msin6004? What does the group assignment consist of? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveconverse)
    Hey I am a 2nd year student at UCL and am considering taking msin6004 as one of my elective modules. I just wanted to ask did you enjoy msin6004? What does the group assignment consist of? thanks
    Hey Iloveconverse, yeah MSIN6004 was pretty enjoyable as the class was pretty interactive and the lecturer, lynsie, is very engaging. Although, sometimes it can be quite boring, as the content is quite dry due to the nature of accounting.

If I can remember correctly, there's one online exam which consist of 10-20 questions MCQ count towards 10% of the total module mark and another group assignment (20%) where my team had to construct a DCF, IRR, and calculate ratios, as well as analyzing the ratios. There is more but I cant recall the rest.

Hope I help. Hope you enjoy MSIN6004.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Iloveconverse, yeah MSIN6004 was pretty enjoyable as the class was pretty interactive and the lecturer, lynsie, is very engaging. Although, sometimes it can be quite boring, as the content is quite dry due to the nature of accounting.

If I can remember correctly, there's one online exam which consist of 10-20 questions MCQ count towards 10% of the total module mark and another group assignment (20%) where my team had to construct a DCF, IRR, and calculate ratios, as well as analyzing the ratios. There is more but I cant recall the rest.

Hope I help. Hope you enjoy MSIN6004.
    Brilliant thanks for your help. So did you have to do some sort of presentation with your group? (Sorry if I should've gathered this from the earlier post). Also I was wondering what sort of degree programmes the people doing this module are on? Is it a real mix or are they mostly econ/mathsy students? I am a life sciences student so am curious...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveconverse)
    Brilliant thanks for your help. So did you have to do some sort of presentation with your group? (Sorry if I should've gathered this from the earlier post). Also I was wondering what sort of degree programmes the people doing this module are on? Is it a real mix or are they mostly econ/mathsy students? I am a life sciences student so am curious...

Hi, no worries. In regards to the former, you don't have to present anything, you just have to submit it in time. To the latter, I'm not really 100% sure about this, but I think it's mostly econ and math..
    Hope I've managed to answer your questions

ReputationRep:
    Hi, no worries. In regards to the former, you don't have to present anything, you just have to submit it in time. To the latter, I'm not really 100% sure about this, but I think it's mostly econ and math..
    Hope I've managed to answer your questions

Yes you have...thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me their opinion on my chances at econ UCL ?
    GCSE 7a*3a1b
    AS AAAA (maths, econ, bio, chem)
    Predicted A*A*A (maths ,chem,econ)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maj969)
    Can someone give me their opinion on my chances at econ UCL ?
    GCSE 7a*3a1b
    AS AAAA (maths, econ, bio, chem)
    Predicted A*A*A (maths ,chem,econ)
    You have very similar grades to me and I got an offer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.