Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my boyfriend and I are going on a road trip from Vienna, Austria to Ljubljana this weekend. Any recommendations for things to do/see/eat in the Slovenian capital or nearby?
    We're both interested in architecture, culture, museums, local cuisine, sport, the usual stuff

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to hire bikes and whether the city is bike-friendly? Or even a canoe to go sailing down the river? And are there are thermal baths like in Budapest?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    So my boyfriend and I are going on a road trip from Vienna, Austria to Ljubljana this weekend. Any recommendations for things to do/see/eat in the Slovenian capital or nearby?
    We're both interested in architecture, culture, museums, local cuisine, sport, the usual stuff

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to hire bikes and whether the city is bike-friendly? Or even a canoe to go sailing down the river? And are there are thermal baths like in Budapest?

Thanks in advance!
    Hi, I went to the city two years ago, but I don't think many things have changed since then. I really enjoyed the museum of modern art near Metelkova (there's also an anarchist neighbourhood with impressive graffiti and such!). I can't help much with regards to local cuisine, I only went shopping to the nearest supermarket and found, to my own surprise, that many goods weren't different from those in the Czech Republic (they just had funnily different names - a candy called "indianek" - little Indian in Czech - is called "jezek" - hedgehog in Czech and Slovene - over there).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ivanka)
    Hi, I went to the city two years ago, but I don't think many things have changed since then. I really enjoyed the museum of modern art near Metelkova (there's also an anarchist neighbourhood with impressive graffiti and such!). I can't help much with regards to local cuisine, I only went shopping to the nearest supermarket and found, to my own surprise, that many goods weren't different from those in the Czech Republic (they just had funnily different names - a candy called "indianek" - little Indian in Czech - is called "jezek" - hedgehog in Czech and Slovene - over there).
    Thanks for the tips! Before going I had no idea Ljubljana had such a lively street art scene. The ararchist neighbourhood you mentioned used to be an army barracks, it was really awesome and reminded me of the East Side Gallery in Berlin.

I did think the country was quite similar to the Czech republic in terms of architecture, so I'm not surprised they have a lot of the same food

ReputationRep:
    Ljubljana is a wonderful place, just strolling around in the center in the evening will do. The whole country impressed me a lot it has something very unique; if you can, try visiting Maribor it's very nice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.