Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travelling- How to go about it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm at a stage in my life where I really need to do something, and I'm thinking travelling would be a good thing for me to do. BUT I just wonder, how do people do it?

Do you arrange all their accommodation before you leave? Where do people find cheap accommodation anyway?

And plane tickets, do you book them as and when you want to go?

And places like Australia, how do you find a job there?

I would be travelling alone, as not got anyone to go with, is that also a bad idea?

Would be interested in any replies

ReputationRep:
    Plane tickets and accommodation are usually booked before leaving. Ideally at least 2 weeks before (plane fare usually goes up as the date approaches).

Finding/booking accommodation as you go is possible, and many people do that. It's OK 99% of the time. It doesn't work if there is a major event that you didn't know about and all the rooms in the city are booked already. You may be in a little bit of trouble then.

As for finding cheap accommodation, there are quite a few sites out there that let you compare prices - Expedia, Hotels.com, etc. You can also just find hotels on Google Maps, and check each one out by going to their website. Remember to read reviews (eg. TripAdvisor).

Are you planning to get a job while travelling? Remember to also check visa requirements. 99% of countries require special visas to work, that are difficult to obtain.

Traveling alone is not the end of the world, but I find traveling more fun with other people. If you have not done significant traveling before, though, it probably makes sense to go with someone who has, for your first time, and try to get involved in the planning process, etc. There are quite a few little things to watch out for that really only come with experience, and traveling with a more experienced traveller will probably save you some silly mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    Totally depends where you want to go and what you want to do there. Plane tickets are generally significantly cheaper if you book them a few months in advance.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.