Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-28237111

Emergency law requiring data to be stored for 12 months is announced, amid fears over Britons fighting in Syria and Iraq. MI5 and the police will be able to read people's emails and listen to people's mobile phone conversations under emergency laws.
    Opinions?

Mine:

A lot of people jump the gun and say that this is a gross invasion of privacy, how can we convict Andy Coulson one week, then announce this legislation the next. This matter doesn't concern personal matters, MI5 aren't going to be leisurely reading person X's texts in the same way the NOTW was. This concerns national security, and as far as I'm concerned - this is the highest priority.

It's good that they are openly stating that this will be their course of action rather than having it going on behind closed doors, eventually being leaked as a scandal months / years down the line.

ReputationRep:
    There was no emergency and those ***** clearly can't be trusted with such powers. Buggering and covering up the buggering of kids concerned national security too i hear.

ReputationRep:
    In principle I can understand the need of invasive security laws to combat threats. After all, invasion of privacy is better than invasion of property in the interests of security.

What worries me is the fantastical "Emergency" they are talking about.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.