The Student Room Group
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website

Not living in halls

Hey so I'm finding private rented accommodation in a shared student house ready to start this September.

I was just wondering if there was anything (apart from the obvious) that I'd need to bring with me? :smile:

also does anyone know where the best place is to find out about freshers events, and societies?
(I've assumed you're going to Cambridge, so apologies if you aren't)
Just bring the obvious stuff at first - bedding, a few pots and pans and your clothes. Most other stuff can be bought cheaply in Cambridge - there's a poundland about 2 minutes from the uni and a shop called Tiger (which I had never heard of before!) in the Grand Arcade which does a lot of home stuff for really cheap as well.

Societies can be found here: https://www.angliastudent.com/experience/socs/
Freshers events will go up on the SU page as they're announced. The main thing you'll want to go to is the clubs and societies fair, of all things. You can get a load of discount booklets for places like Dominoes/Pizza Hut/Wetherspoons and even some clothing places. That's the one thing that EVERYONE went to (even second and third years, lol). Other than that it's pretty typical club nights and sometimes specific societies will organise events.
Lord Ashcroft Building, Anglia Ruskin University
Anglia Ruskin University
Chelmsford
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
(I've assumed you're going to Cambridge, so apologies if you aren't)
Just bring the obvious stuff at first - bedding, a few pots and pans and your clothes. Most other stuff can be bought cheaply in Cambridge - there's a poundland about 2 minutes from the uni and a shop called Tiger (which I had never heard of before!) in the Grand Arcade which does a lot of home stuff for really cheap as well.

Societies can be found here: https://www.angliastudent.com/experience/socs/
Freshers events will go up on the SU page as they're announced. The main thing you'll want to go to is the clubs and societies fair, of all things. You can get a load of discount booklets for places like Dominoes/Pizza Hut/Wetherspoons and even some clothing places. That's the one thing that EVERYONE went to (even second and third years, lol). Other than that it's pretty typical club nights and sometimes specific societies will organise events.

Thanks so much :smile:
Original post by Hazel1203
Thanks so much :smile:

You're welcome. If you have any more questions about ARU (or Cambridge, assuming you're going to that campus) I can try and help.
Reply 4
Me too trying to find Accomadation in cambridge going to start aru Opthalmic disprnsing in September
Reply 5
Original post by Yousaf786
Me too trying to find Accomadation in cambridge going to start aru Opthalmic disprnsing in September

I'm going to a househunting event held by the uni next week :smile: have you tried 'studentpad' or 'spareroom' or 'right move'?
Reply 6
It tired right move but crazy prices and not anything decent.. When and where is the meeting?? Can you give me details pleaseeee and which subject will you be studying?
Reply 7
It tired right move but crazy prices and not anything decent.. When and where is the meeting?? Can you give me details pleaseeee and which subject will you be studying?

You have to contact the uni accommodation team, it's next Thursday or Friday :smile:
Reply 8
Okay thanks i appreciate it, which course are you studying if you don't mind me asking ?
Reply 9
Okay thanks i appreciate it, which course are you studying if you don't mind me asking ?

Business with Human Resources Management
If anyone needs any more information about finding private rented accommodation in Cambridge, there are lots of resources on our website (linked below). You can also contact us on [email protected], Facebook www.facebook.com/ARUAccommodationCambridge and Twitter @ARUaccom

http://www.anglia.ac.uk/ruskin/en/home/central/estates_facilities/accommodation/Private_sector_house_hunting.html

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending