Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Weight loss surgery for obesity Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello

What does everything about the governments new plans to curb obesity by offering weight Loss surgery to those with BMI over 30. I personally believe it would be open to abuse for those BMI that 28-29, they would think if I carry on eating til my BMI I can lose all the weight through surgery and just say "I have been dieting and exercising, my doctor can't see me"

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you think about it, it's cheaper than the other option, hence why the government is supporting it. So you can moan about "But they should lose weight normally!!1!" all you want, but this makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    It's a grey area because there are some people out there would abuse the system

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    well... Britain is a rich country, NHS being an eternally money-vacuum will be always funded well... and since one can get tattoo removal or boob job on NHS, I see no reason why fatties shouldn't get weight lose op too.
    after all, they are less likely to work, and it will be we who will pay the bills. as usually.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    As somebody that's actually become fat I think it's ridiculous. While I acknowledge that losing fat requires a level of commitment and discipline that people don't always stick to, the idea that the state should absolve them of individual responsibility and let them take the quick way out is ludicrous, not to mention the lesson it teaches children.

No, those that are unemployed and obese should be made to exercise at their local gym each day, the school day should be extended so that PE is daily and for those employed but obese, they should be better educated. Other than that, it should be upto the person to push themselves.

I probably sound really harsh and hypocritical here but people give up too easily. While I fell off the fat loss wagon more than once, i'm dam well going to restore myself. I will not be defeated by s part of my mind and others should fight too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but there are others where exercising doesn't work for example if they eat well over 3000 the odds of burning it off they are are all sluggish are slim

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iloveteddy14)
    Hello

What does everything about the governments new plans to curb obesity by offering weight Loss surgery to those with BMI over 30. I personally believe it would be open to abuse for those BMI that 28-29, they would think if I carry on eating til my BMI I can lose all the weight through surgery and just say "I have been dieting and exercising, my doctor can't see me"

Nightworld1066
    It doesn't solve the problem, I think more needs to be done when the child or adult becomes overweight so before they become so obese.

ReputationRep:
    Imo I think a BMI of 30 is too low for weight loss surgery tbh. I was around 95kg and 5ft 10 just over a year ago and I would have approximately a BMI of 30 at that time. I was able to live a normal life and really didn't need any surgery imo at all, the only thing that was frustrating was finding clothes that fit, my waist at the time was 42" and I was clearly unfit.I then started to exercise more regularly and lost around 4 stones in weight now by eating a more balanced diet and regular exercise and understanding that I needed a more regular meal plan.

However, my point is that I didn't feel that it was so restrictive that I needed or even wanted surgery and if I was 90 kilos for example, my BMI would be circa 28.5 and it would be easy for people to be incentivise to gain the extra 5 kilos to gain this surgery.
    I understand it is more cost-effective for NHS but it doesn't solve the root of the problem, which for many people will be their emotional/mental connection with food, i.e. do they eat more when they are sad/depressed.....

ReputationRep:
    Free chicken, protein powder and gym memberships for us skinny guys please.

ReputationRep:
    Weight loss surgery does not work in all cases. The patient still has to eat a mostly solid food diet. If the patient takes in a lot of calories in liquid or semi liquid form such as in fizzy drinks, cakes and sweets, they will regain any weight they may loose and put more one.

ReputationRep:
    That is what I have been trying to say is that some people may use it as incentive to gain weight up the 30 and then think that the nhs will pick the pieces.

That's also my point exactly as I am in the similar boat myself, I am currently depressed and really not feeling to go about my self and I eat more to feel better about myself. But when I am feeling happy, I rarely eat a meal a day and it's simply because I'm unaware of how less I am eating and weeks down the line it barely touches my mouth. But deep down I want to feel in control of my situation and easier to get unnoticed. The next thing I knew it combined with exercise in daily life it's got out of hand and then when I am depressed I'm eat like there's no tomorrow.

Nightworld1066
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    Imo I think a BMI of 30 is too low for weight loss surgery tbh.
    I completely agree - the majority of lads you see on a night out sinking pints after a week at the office would have a BMI of around that imo. It seems really low - a BMI of 30 obviously has health implications but I wouldn't look at somebody with a BMI like that and think "**** me, you need surgery".

ReputationRep:
    A lot of fat people will just gain the weight again. Surgery doesn't solve eating habits.

ReputationRep:
    Loosing the weight won't solve the eating problems, emotional eating and issues surrounding it such as unemployment, stress, feeling bored, problems at work/home life/relationships/kids

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Nightworld1066
    I agree, I think weight loss surgery should be an absolute if all else fails method!

ReputationRep:
    Loosing the weight won't solve the eating problems, emotional eating and issues surrounding it such as unemployment, stress, feeling bored, problems at work/home life/relationships/kids
    Very true!

ReputationRep:
    In that case, think of it as a policy to offer surgery to anyone with a BMI of over 28.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What I find amusing on some documentaries is when they have to lose weight for the operation, do it.. And then say they still need it.

ReputationRep:
    Don't see what the problem is.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Don't see what the problem is.
    The problem is that this method of weight loss is lazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.