Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Give up' on gender equality in the sciences at school Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...at-school.html

Schools should abandon attempts to create more gender equality in the education system because the move will “completely deny human biology and nature”, according to an academic.

The drive to push more girls into traditionally male-dominated subjects such as engineering, physics and computing should be scrapped, said Dr Gijsbert Stoet, a reader in psychology at Glasgow University.

In a speech, he said the search for more gender balance – a passion of many politicians, school leaders and learned societies – was a waste of time as innate differences between boys and girls meant they would always be naturally drawn to certain academic subjects and careers.

He said the nation probably needed to “give up on the idea that we will get many female engineers or male nurses”.

ReputationRep:
    I do not think there should be pressure on anybody, male or female to take certain subjects in order to output a more equal weighting of men and women in certain roles. However, I do think there is something to be said for encouraging children and teenagers to study what they WANT to study, whatever their gender. I went to a girls secondary school and still we had maths and physics teachers who would say things like "this isn't a girls subject, so you needn't take it past GCSE!" which I think is detrimental and imposing gender roles upon students who have the right to study whatever interests them personally. These gender roles can be quite subtle but can certainly make girls feel like they need to conform or fit in with other girls, and thus girls who I knew excelled at maths and sciences took a humanities route in order to fit in. I'm sure the same can be said for some boys who are interested in drama and artistic subjects, but who are pushed by gender roles to study maths and sciences.

TLDR; let individual students study what they want, after the obligatory GCSE subjects we all have to do. If certain boys want to study artistic subjects and certain girls want to study scientific subjects, then they should be encouraged for their passion in the subject, not discouraged due to their gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...at-school.html

Schools should abandon attempts to create more gender equality in the education system because the move will “completely deny human biology and nature”, according to an academic.

The drive to push more girls into traditionally male-dominated subjects such as engineering, physics and computing should be scrapped, said Dr Gijsbert Stoet, a reader in psychology at Glasgow University.

In a speech, he said the search for more gender balance – a passion of many politicians, school leaders and learned societies – was a waste of time as innate differences between boys and girls meant they would always be naturally drawn to certain academic subjects and careers.

He said the nation probably needed to “give up on the idea that we will get many female engineers or male nurses”.
    Ye my science Alevel classes were almost all girls, and none of them were naturally good at the subjects tbh. They all hated practicals and found them difficult especially the 'coursework' ones, whereas me and the few other boys in those classes pretty much got full marks on them without much effort.
    In biology I got 90-100% on the first try in all of them so I had even more time to skip school playing video games lmao. There is definately a lot of pressuring on girls to take these subjects now tbh. Should just let them make up their own mind. I wasn't really pushed into those subjects I was just like #yolo at the start of yr 12 and didn't know what else to pick.

The smart girls got a lot of special treatment from the teachers in my 6th form tbh. And the girls got higher grades than the boys by far at the end of the 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    Dunno if the telegraph has got the wrong end of the stick or the guy is some quixotic crank.

I doubt many think it's terribly important that we achieve equality of numbers on stem courses and groups that campaign in the area don't appear to think so either - Women into Science and Engineering (WISE) have a target of 30% by 2020 ( they claim it's currently 13%)

The telegraph also states
    Last month, the Coalition launched a pilot project – Opening Doors – to remove gender-related obstacles to girls studying disciplines such as engineering, science, computing and manufacturing.
    but when you look at what the government says about 'Opening Doors' it seems to be entirely about 'social mobility' and breaking down privileged barriers rather than sex barriers.

The Opening Doors campaign is part of the Deputy Prime Minister’s social mobility drive. Over 150 of the UK’s major organisations have already signed up to offering fair and open access to their jobs and professions for young people, regardless of who they are or where they come from.

New YouGov research for the campaign published today suggests that young people in lower social grades (C2DE) are several rungs behind on the career ladder. Over a third of young people aged 16 to 25 from higher social grades (ABC1) who indicated which industry they would like to work in, already have a job in their chosen industry (33%), compared to just 5% of young people in lower social grades.

The research, commissioned by a number of UK law firms for the campaign, also suggests that young people from higher social grades have greater access to work opportunities in the search for their ideal career. The majority of young people from lower social grades (56%) say availability of work opportunities, including work experience, internships and apprenticeships, would help them get a job in their desired industry. Whereas only around a third of young people from more privileged backgrounds (37%) thought the availability of work opportunities would help them.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/d...r-young-people

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.