The Student Room Group

How likely is it to get funding for a current student?

I should start my studies this September and I have missed all the funding deadlines. Is it common for students to apply for funding AFTER they have been admitted into the university? Do private institutions or universities ever make exceptions for students with academic merit and who are in financial need?
Reply 1
You can apply for student finance up to 9 months after you have started the course.
Reply 2
Original post by Dana.
You can apply for student finance up to 9 months after you have started the course.

Thanks a lot! I didn't know that. Is that a general rule that applies to all universities?
Reply 3
Original post by Treee
Thanks a lot! I didn't know that. Is that a general rule that applies to all universities?

Yes. Student Finance is a central system which covers all public universities (and some courses at private ones) in the UK.
Original post by Treee
I should start my studies this September and I have missed all the funding deadlines. Is it common for students to apply for funding AFTER they have been admitted into the university? Do private institutions or universities ever make exceptions for students with academic merit and who are in financial need?

If you are talking about student finance for undergraduates then the deadline they give is only a rough one which you need to apply by to guarantee your money comes in time. After that they can't be sure when they will get the money to you/the uni. Student finance has nothing to do with universities, they only deal with the access to learning fund for students which is for those in hardship but you have to have already been a student for a little while to qualify (not sure how long).
Reply 5
Original post by jelly1000
If you are talking about student finance for undergraduates then the deadline they give is only a rough one which you need to apply by to guarantee your money comes in time. After that they can't be sure when they will get the money to you/the uni. Student finance has nothing to do with universities, they only deal with the access to learning fund for students which is for those in hardship but you have to have already been a student for a little while to qualify (not sure how long).

I'm a postgraduate student.
Reply 6
Original post by Treee

Which course are you studying? SF isn't available for the majority of postgraduate courses.
Reply 7
Original post by Klix88
Which course are you studying? SF isn't available for the majority of postgraduate courses.

MA Linguistics. I contacted Queen Mary and asked them if they would offer funding for current students and their answer was no.
Original post by Treee

Oh in that case ignore me, Student finance wouldn't fund your course, afraid if you've missed the deadlines that's it for this year. You can try for a career development loan though.
Reply 9
Original post by Treee
MA Linguistics. I contacted Queen Mary and asked them if they would offer funding for current students and their answer was no.

Student Finance definitely wouldn't fund this course, sorry.

There's no State funding for the majority of Masters courses in the UK. Your best bet at this late stage is a Professional & Career Development Loan offered by Barclays or the Co-Op Bank. However these have significant drawbacks:

1) They are a maximum of £10,000, which is very unlikely to cover fees + living expenses for an entire year, especially in London.

2) Unlike Student Finance a PCDL is a commercial style loan and is credit checked, so you're not guaranteed to get anything if the bank considers you a repayment risk.

3) For the same reason, you may get less than you've applied for.

4) There are set repayment terms, which means that - unlike Student Finance - you have to start repaying it on a set date after you graduate, whether you can afford to or not.

A lack of funding for Masters courses is an acknowledged prblem in the UK. Many people find themselves having to work and save up before they can afford it, or turning to family/friends for loans.
Reply 10
Original post by Klix88
Student Finance definitely wouldn't fund this course, sorry.

There's no State funding for the majority of Masters courses in the UK. Your best bet at this late stage is a Professional & Career Development Loan offered by Barclays or the Co-Op Bank. However these have significant drawbacks:

1) They are a maximum of £10,000, which is very unlikely to cover fees + living expenses for an entire year, especially in London.

2) Unlike Student Finance a PCDL is a commercial style loan and is credit checked, so you're not guaranteed to get anything if the bank considers you a repayment risk.

3) For the same reason, you may get less than you've applied for.

4) There are set repayment terms, which means that - unlike Student Finance - you have to start repaying it on a set date after you graduate, whether you can afford to or not.

A lack of funding for Masters courses is an acknowledged prblem in the UK. Many people find themselves having to work and save up before they can afford it, or turning to family/friends for loans.

Well, that's very unfortunate. However, I did at least find bursries or departmental awards in several universities, but my main issue is that the deadline has passed and I started applying rather late.

Thank you so much for the detailed response.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can you defer for a year, work, reapply for the bursaries and then study?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending