Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for an access course in Social & Community work,

I was wondering if i'd have to pay for the course? (I'm currently on JSA but have got a job over 16 hrs so will have to end that soon) I'll be 19 when starting the course and I've got no A-levels.

Also wondering if its a requirement to have GCSE Maths & English at a C or above or whether that depends on the college? I have a D in maths but I'm willing to redo it while doing the course.

I'll get in touch with the college anyway but just want some more info from people who have had exeperience with doing an access course!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    You say you have no A levels, did you go to college instead? If not ie. you left school at 16 then I think it may be free but I'm not 100% sure.... As for your GCSE result , have you looked at the degree you plan on doing? You may need a certain grade for the degree. I am sure you can re do your maths GCSE along side your access course. Hope this helps 😀

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on the entry requirements for the college you have applied to - the college that I have just finished my access course with have changed their entry requirements for 2014 applications...

Last year when I started, you didn't have to have your GCSE's. With the access course you have to achieve 60 credits, usually 45 are the level 3 subjects and 15 are level 2, you usually achieve the level 2's by doing preparation to study, word processing modules etc... however if you didn't have GCSE maths or English then you could do a maths or English equivalency module, which would go towards your level 2 credits.

However, they had problems with some uni's accepting the equivalency level 2 credits so some people ended up having to do a conversion.

I would say it would be best to do an actual GCSE along side it, or do it before you start.

You should be able to apply for a 24+ advanced learning loan from student finance - unless it has changed again, but that is what I got to pay for my course that I have just completed this summer.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I think he is 19 when he starts the course therefore cannot apply for the loan

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yes, I missed that, doh!

There was a student in my group who was 19, turned 20 part way through the course. I know he wasn't paying for the course himself so I guess he had funding from some sort of funding body, but I think it only applies if you do not already have a full level 3 qualification - such as A-Level or equivalent... best to check with your college!

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    It also depends where you live. I know in Wales we don't have to pay for the Access Course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was 20 when I started mine in September, already had a full Level 3 BTEC but didn't have to pay because I'm on JSA. Stay signed on and show them your letter of entitlement at enrolment. Worked for me so hopefully works for you too! :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.