The Student Room Group

How much funding am I entitled to get?

Hi,

I previously studied (in 2009) a full time three year course but dropped out after one term.

I have reapplied to go back to a different uni to study a foundation degree (full time one year) with the intention of studying a full time 3 year degree afterwards.

Am I entitled to 4 years full funding (the foundation plus the 3 year degree course) or will I have to fund one of these years?

I rang student finance UK and I have had two different answers. One said I will only get three years funding, and the other said all four years.

Please help.
Hello

If the foundation year is an integral part of your course then you will get funding. If it's not, ie it's a standalone year, then you will only receive funding for the last 2 years.

Thanks
Reply 2
Hi Mark,

Thank you for your reply.

Did you mean "Last THREE years"?

This is the course i applied to - http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/faculties/faculty-of-life-sciences-and-computing/our-courses/courses/sciences-extended-degree-biology-chemistry-health-psychology/

On the website it says this - "As the course is structured as a four year extended degree, the usual rules about funding and student loans apply so there is no need to worry about how to finance the additional year." -

But when I emailed London Met and asked the question - "Is this course a separate qualification or does it count as a 4 year course?"

They answered - "Unfortunately this is a separate one year course then you move onto complete the three year degree"

This is extremely confusing.

At the moment I cannot get a straight answer from Student finance or London Metropolitan University as to whether or not I will be given 4 years funding.

I really need to know the answer to this question as soon as possible as I am currently in a full time Job and I need to give a months notice.

If I am NOT eligible for funding then I don't want to leave my job if I have no course to go to, as I will be left in limbo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Tommy McLennan
Hi again

You need to clarify with the university whether it is an integral part of your course, this is not something we decide on, we go on the information they provide. If it's an integral part you will get full funding for all 4 years.

If it's a standalone year, you will get funding for the foundation year. However, you would then be applying as a new student again for the 3 year degree course (as the foundation year wouldn't be included in this scenario) We would take into account the fact at this point you have 2 years of previous study, the foundation year and time in 2009. This affects your entitlement. So in the first year of your degree, you would need to pay your own fees, as you would only get a maintenance loan from us. Full funding would be offered for the remaining 2 years as previously advised.

You need to clarify with your university first, as whether it's an integral part of your course or not is very important to your entitlement.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending