The Student Room Group

Undergrad who wears the niqab. Ask me anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
But you can walk into a bank wearing one of them black veil things some Muslims wear.

Do the same with a balaclava and see what happens.

Your point?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
You do realise that the problem with the niqab is not with niqabi women stealing, it's that ANYONE can wear one and appear to be a niqabi and commit crimes, right?

Yes, i understand your point, and i'm not denying that it couldn't happen. All i'm trying to say, is that anyone could wear any other type of full coverage and get a way with it.

Edit: Already answered this. nvm.
(edited 9 years ago)
Wow, we're still on this?
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Uh huh, and how many people do you see walking around town wearing halloween masks the other 364 days of the year that aren't halloween?

You can't wear a mask without looking suspicious and drawing attention.

It's accepted to wear niqabs therefore anyone could wear one without drawing attention to themselves.

A lot of people still don't accept those who wear niqabs- they practically stare at them.
Original post by I Procrastinate
Your point?

I can't remember.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I can't remember.

....alright....
Original post by ronmack
Why do you need to see someone to talk to them? Ah the western society we live in.

I know this has been brought up in other threads similar to this, and I apologise if it's already been mentioned here, but how do you expect a deaf person to lip-read when your lips are hidden?
Original post by ronmack

I'm not Shia

I didn't say you are
Original post by SinaPars
I didn't say you are

So, I don't think they follow Sharia in my opinion.
Original post by ronmack
So, I don't think they follow Sharia in my opinion.

I see, alright.
Do you not think the medieval islamic perception of women as immoral seductresses (and indeed of men as lustful rapists incapable of restraint) that the niqab perpetuates has no place in modern liberal society?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by securetrust
Ask away :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, what university is this?

I think one of the reasons I am put off from applying to Queen Mary is that it happens to have a large muslim community. I know not all muslims are like this, but from what I saw at the open day.... the muslims there WHO WEAR RELIGIOUS CLOTHES are very judgemental and they prefer to keep within their religious group rather mix in with the rest of the student population.

This would not be the same view for everyone, but that was my first impression of the university.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Infinity_4652
If you don't mind me asking, what university is this?

I think one of the reasons I am put off from applying to Queen Mary is that it happens to have a large muslim community. I know not all muslims are like this, but from what I saw at the open day.... the muslims there WHO WEAR RELIGIOUS CLOTHES are very judgemental and they prefer to keep within their religious group rather mix in with the rest of the student population.

This would not be the same view for everyone, but that was my first impression of the university.

This post has confused me. What has any of the stuff you've mentioned got to do with OP? :confused:
Original post by themorninglight
This post has confused me. What has any of the stuff you've mentioned got to do with OP? :confused:

well from college and everywhere else I see muslims who dress religiously, they tend to refuse to fit in with the rest of society
well from college and everywhere else I see muslims who dress religiously, they tend to refuse to fit in with the rest of society
Yes, well. I don't know what that's got to do with OP. Unless you're asking her if she's like that?

Either way, people often like to stick to their own regardless of religion, I don't see why that's weird.
Original post by themorninglight
Yes, well. I don't know what that's got to do with OP. Unless you're asking her if she's like that?

Either way, people often like to stick to their own regardless of religion, I don't see why that's weird.
the fact that they refuse to adapt their lives to the society in which they live and then they consider their lifestyles to be superior to those who live in the western society

this does not apply to all muslims, just the the majority who have muslim friends only and openly show they are muslims by wearing Islamic clothing (the burqa/niqab) wherever

coming from a muslim family and having been to many education institutions where islam is the dominant religion, I think I would prefer to go to a university which has the least amount of muslims who choose to not integrate in the society in which they live
(edited 9 years ago)
coming from a muslim family and having been to many education institutions where islam is the dominant religion, I think I would prefer to go to a university which has the least amount of muslims who choose to not integrate in the society in which they live

well good for you, what do you want a medal?
Original post by mightyfrog2_10
well good for you, what do you want a medal?

I was trying to illustrate my point, not hoping to get a medal
I was trying to illustrate my point, not hoping to get a medal

ok, it seems you think everyone here cares about you going to a university with least Muslims - that's good for you but why would even write it? is it even related to this thread? because quite frankly no one cares.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 199
the fact that they refuse to adapt their lives to the society in which they live and then they consider their lifestyles to be superior to those who live in the western society

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're totally right, just because they wear Islamic clothing doesn't mean their lifestyles are more superior than yours. I've had many cases were people with Islamic clothing on, trying to be Islamic, coming up to me starting to point out that I should change my dress code to a more 'Islamic' one. What's that all about? Guess when this happens? Every fridays. And the same Joey's walking down the street the next day with unislamic clothing on. Ain't that hypocritical? Well, it's not some muslims, it's majority of them

Quick Reply

Latest