Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how to have a constructive summer... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in a lifeless area, finished A-levels, waiting for results, waiting for uni. everything seems slow and there is no reason to wake up in the morning. what are you guys doing. I looked for internships but it seems companies only take people who are in uni. I have had a few part time jobs but I'm not very good at being an employee, have tried but can't seem to do it. however, I do not want to sit around all summer.

I'm a good worker but only with office work. I have a great work ethic, and would work anywhere, mcdonalds, as a bin man, I find it terrible when people put these things down. but I never seem to have the ability to carry on. it feels like the people are happy to be there forever, but office work is all good. any job where there are goals that you achieve and then set new ones rather than a never ending pattern at most jobs. Because of all this I thought it would be best if i start a business venture that I could take through to uni. I have been sitting for a week, bored out of my skull, so have made a business plan, but nothing I can get to work on in summer. any ideas? My parents say I should do something, most people say I should enjoy summer before uni starts, but I would rather build something successful.

so are you guys having a constructive summer? what are you doing?
    any ideas for what I could do? racking my brain but can't think of any answers.

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I'm still managing to wake up at eight in the morning but I'm definitely not being productive any more I decided to learn HTML/CSS at the start of the holiday, I made a few pages of a website but that's hit a brick wall since. Why can't you start your business over summer, if you have a plan already? What will change by term time, other than the fact that you'll have no free time?

ReputationRep:
    Do you miss learning or maths in particular? (Assuming that's the degree you applied for)

Have you asked your university what reading lists they would like you to cover or what topics they want you to be comfortable in?

Even if they don't ask for anything you can sell your A level textbooks and use them to buy textbooks for modules you didn't have the chance to study like S3, M4, M5, FP3....

That could be very constructive :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    I'm still managing to wake up at eight in the morning but I'm definitely not being productive any more I decided to learn HTML/CSS at the start of the holiday, I made a few pages of a website but that's hit a brick wall since. Why can't you start your business over summer, if you have a plan already? What will change by term time, other than the fact that you'll have no free time?
    thats the thing i sit and construct ideas on paper but nothing that will be slightly profitable or doable without thousands and thousands, safe to say I'm not very creative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cem101)
    thats the thing i sit and construct ideas on paper but nothing that will be slightly profitable or doable without thousands and thousands, safe to say I'm not very creative.
    Yeah, I've had plenty of that kind of idea. Can you not come up with anything that only requires your brain and a computer? It doesn't matter whether it's profitable if it's free. What kind of ideas are they? Engineering? Tech?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    Yeah, I've had plenty of that kind of idea. Can you not come up with anything that only requires your brain and a computer? It doesn't matter whether it's profitable if it's free. What kind of ideas are they? Engineering? Tech?
    trade, buying and selling or creating a product.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.