Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any advice will help

ReputationRep:
    Here`s one I wished I followed. Start revision IMMEDIATELY. Whenever you learn something new, revise it routinely and stick to a schedule for revision. I started college telling myself I`ll start revision as soon as lessons start and didnt revise properly until just before the exam period started. I told myself Im not gonna repeat that in second year and I did it again. I regret it so much. Get into a routine and once you do, it should make things a little easier. Also start research on what you want to do at uni and what you need to do to get into it, that way you can use the 2 years of college to do things e.g. gain experience to add to your personal statement and make it better.

Like I said, start revision IMMEDIATELY. You wont regret it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mav455)
    Here`s one I wished I followed. Start revision IMMEDIATELY. Whenever you learn something new, revise it routinely and stick to a schedule for revision. I started college telling myself I`ll start revision as soon as lessons start and didnt revise properly until just before the exam period started. I told myself Im not gonna repeat that in second year and I did it again. I regret it so much. Get into a routine and once you do, it should make things a little easier. Also start research on what you want to do at uni and what you need to do to get into it, that way you can use the 2 years of college to do things e.g. gain experience to add to your personal statement and make it better.

Like I said, start revision IMMEDIATELY. You wont regret it
    thank you so much!!! I hate revision tho hahaha

ReputationRep:
    I second this, you HAVE to revise straight away!

I find it so much easier during the exam period if you have all your revision tools ready! Start making note/flash cards as soon as you learn something and make revision posters and notes on each topic as you go along. It feels like SO much work on top of the homework and research tasks involved but once you get to May/June you will thank yourself that you have everything you need at your fingertips!

I also advice you to do as many past papers as you can, even if you end up repeating the same paper eventually then you are still gaining the experience and skills and knowledge that you will need in your exams.

Another thing is to stay organised! I cannot stress this enough! Neatly store all notes and handouts and worksheets and essays in a folder and label each topic, then you know where everything is. Once again, if you put a little extra effort in every day you will get so much more out of it at the end. You might as well make the most of the free education while you can and don't waste it.

Also, buy a planner. Write down all your homework and assignments and set yourself extra weekly revision. The more you put in the more it will benefit you. I came out of all my exams this year feeling somewhat confident!

Most of all, enjoy these next couple of years! Hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be scared by the people that tell you AS level is a massive jump from GCSE - obviously it is a lot harder but as long as you revise, it is completely doable. I know it's subjective but I found that people really exaggerated 'the jump' and it made me start college with a negative attitude feeling like it was going to be really really hard, but it's honestly not that bad.

Try to revise throughout the year to make life easier for yourself but don't beat yourself up about it if you don't - a couple of months before your exams is plenty of time.

If you're thinking of applying for a subject that requires work experience, try and organise it fairly soon and don't leave it until the last minute. Also, think about things you could do now which you can include on your personal statement.

Enjoy the year because it goes really quickly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.