Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently choosing A-Levels because I need to make a choice on a college soon, and I know that I want to take English Literature but I'm not sure whether to just take both literature and language instead? Does it make much of a difference??
    Thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu x
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I shall offer you some advice.

When considering A-levels as a whole, you should think about "why do I like these subjects", "am I good at it" and "can I see myself enjoying and learning more about the subject". Those are the questions that prompted me whether to take English (disregarding the fact that I want to become an English teacher).

If you study A-level English Literature, this will allow you develop your Literature knowledge and skills in great depth because you can home in on your skills in literature. Same if you decide to take Language on its own too. On the other hand, if you were to pick both Lang and Lit (the combined course?) then this will not allow you to get a solid foundation of English for depth, but it will allow you to create a nice breadth of knowledge in both elements of English.

Because you have specified whether you mean lit and lang as a combined A-level or taking the two separate English A-levels together, it makes it harder to give you some advice.

I myself, did the two separate A-levels and they went in-hand with each other, especially in the 2nd year. For instance in A2 Language we had to read 14th century "Black Atlantic" literature to look at how social class, and creole and pidgin language were formed in literature. So both my language and lit skills were tested in Language and vice versa for some of the things we had to do in Literature. Studying both A-level English is hard work and very time consuming esp in A2 where you have to read widely and independently for linguistic purposes in Lang and Literary Criticism for Lit.

However, if you do enjoyed studying them at GCSE level, then you should contemplate studying both. However, I know most the people in school who picked Lang, also picked Lit and pretty much all of them who carried both onto A2 have applied for English degree. So perhaps they already knew they wanted to study English. If you want to keep your options open and you enjoy Lit more than you do Lang, then you should really stick to just picking English Lit. However if you do not want to narrow your choices down to picking to English A-levels, you should go with the combined course. However it will restrict you on what you learn as you won't go in depth but it is still A-level and it will be a lot harder than GCSE.

I personally LOVE English and I always thought I would be at a disadvantage if I would have picked just one A-level English because English should be the enjoyment of both Lang and Lit. I don't have any regrets picking the two, but just make sure you are dedicated to them because even I hated having English Lang first thing on a Mon then Lit straight after. My AS and A2 timetable consisted of having either one English before or straight after the other so that did get really annoying, spending pretty much all my 2 years in one side of the school. However, this should not put you off. Just make sure you enjoy the subject enough to make you not regret picking it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freejaaa)
    I'm currently choosing A-Levels because I need to make a choice on a college soon, and I know that I want to take English Literature but I'm not sure whether to just take both literature and language instead? Does it make much of a difference??
    Thankyouuuuuuuuuuuuuuu x
    My advice would generally be to take just the A-Level in English literature. It is probably what you think of when you think of 'English'; "English Language" is a completely different beast, and is basically a course in dumbed-down linguistics. You will necessarily do lots of close reading of language in the course of an A-Level in English literature anyway; English language is for people who are interested in things like how babies learn English and how language is used in the media. (IE, it's basically the most boring and patronising stuff from GCSE x 10).

English language is a totally different kettle of fish; it is not at all necessary to take it if you want to study English literature. History, philosophy, a foreign language, politics--these are A-Levels which will actually help you with an A-Level in English literature, especially if you want to study it at university.

ReputationRep:
    Although both shall work together nicely and you can incorporate skills learnt from each, from experience- English Literature on its own is a lot more straight forward.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    english lang and lit together is a lot more straight forward than just lit. i did english lang and lit and i did not have to put in half as much work as my friend who did english lit. i think it is the perfect course for english cause it include a little of both

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.