Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should there be a 'Gender!' handicap in sport? Watch

• PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Coming out of This Thread, decided to post up and see what people think. People might say it depends on the individual sports, but to be honest it's more of a cultural choice than specific to each sport.

Personally I think it would be interesting at least to see some mixed tournaments, such as in Tennis or even in Football.

So what do people think? Should women be paid less and in some cases, play less? Should there be mixed teams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Coming out of This Thread, decided to post up and see what people think. People might say it depends on the individual sports, but to be honest it's more of a cultural choice than specific to each sport.

Personally I think it would be interesting at least to see some mixed tournaments, such as in Tennis or even in Football.

So what do people think? Should women be paid less and in some cases, play less? Should there be mixed teams?
    No. Men find it hard to play competitive contact sport with women
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TheAnusFiles)
    No. Men find it hard to play competitive contact sport with women

Mainly because they're not used to it :sly:

ReputationRep:
    Mainly because they're not used to it :sly:
    No I think there is always going to be an element of it. Women simply have not evolved to be able to physically engage men in such a way. Men also by and large don't like hurting women, while they enjoy seeing boxing matches between men
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    No I think there is always going to be an element of it. Women simply have not evolved to be able to physically engage men in such a way. Men also by and large don't like hurting women, while they enjoy seeing boxing matches between men

I'd say that was more of a cultural thing than a physiological one. But even with all of that there, what about non contact sports? Tennis being a fairly obvious example.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that was more of a cultural thing than a physiological one. But even with all of that there, what about non contact sports? Tennis being a fairly obvious example.
    Tennis is a contact sport. Contact sports are any where the actions of the other could cause the opponent to be struck by them or the ball. Non contact sports are golf, darts, running, swimming etc
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Tennis is a contact sport. Contact sports are any where the actions of the other could cause the opponent to be struck by them or the ball. Non contact sports are golf, darts, running, swimming etc

Cool, didn't know that. So you're arguing it's more difficult for men to play against female tennis players? And that's unfair?

ReputationRep:
    Cool, didn't know that. So you're arguing it's more difficult for men to play against female tennis players? And that's unfair?
    Tennis although a contact sport, doesn't thow up the same problems that inter gender boxing would, especially as unlike football basketball etc there isn't any bodily contact at all, so I don't think with tennis there would be a problem of men feeling uncomfortable. However you would never see a woman in a GS tournament if the sport was mixed

ReputationRep:
    I think there should. It's just like saying why don't you allow athletes to take performance enhancing drugs.. Depending on the sport, one gender will definitely be at an advantage and so it'll either be an unfair match or just boring to watch. We need a standard of regulation and I think gender should be one of the controlled factors

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm completely for it; merge the leagues so people can see the difference in quality for themselves. That will put an end to the 'Serena would teach Nadal a thing or two' nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    Then women sports would be even more dead than they are now, the disparity in skill level would become more even more apparent.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would love to see a mixed basketball game, between players from the WNBA (where there has been six dunks ever, according to their website) and the NBA (where there is often over six dunks a game). That would be interesting, to say the least.

ReputationRep:
    Pay should depend on the work put in, not the person's gender. I feel like teams should stay split BUT a mixed team could be added in sports where men and women are able to achieve the same standards and compete on an equal level. Which sports? I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    Then women sports would be even more dead than they are now, the disparity in skill level would become more even more apparent.
    I'm aware of only one sport where this has been done at the top level: sailing, where every competition that I can think of (with the exception of some Olympic events, which is a silly idea anyway) is fully mixed. The result: the females are entirely and completely capable of competing on the same level as the males. Can you name a sport that is mixed where there is a mass-level disparity. Hypothesis: females generally perform worse at segregated sports because historically, those that had the most training and practice (and hence became the best) were male, and since then, the best males have been training and competing with and against better competitors than the females, and hence have achieved better skill levels (since training and competing against better people raises your skill level significantly). The females, meanwhile, are having to build up their skills without the benefit of such a baseline, and hence are still lagging behind the males.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.