The Student Room Group

osce

does anyone have any tips on how to structure this?

convincing a friend to give up a bad habit such as smoking or drugs?
this is slightly different to the role of a doctor, which is what I keep thinking about.

I know I would offer support, recognise their feelings and suggest things they could do without imposing my opinion, but I am not sure how I would start the conversation? :/

thanks if anyone can help
Deja vu...

What are your own thoughts so far?
Reply 2
Original post by Blatant Troll
Deja vu...

What are your own thoughts so far?

By asking how they are and using their behaviour as a way to start the conversation. For example, if they are down, I mention, 'you seem upset, are you ok?' and then tailor my answers based on their response and try to get them to talk (listen to them to give all information), then ask them if they think they should see a doctor etc
Reply 3
Structure it the same way you would structure any station like this (a la Calgary Cambridge) but obviously with a more friend-friend direction. Start by finding out what they know about smoking, what it does, the dangers - how much do they want to know? Might be useful to find out which stage of the cycle of change they are in so you know how to pitch your advice - i.e. if they're pre-contemplative there's no point talking to them, so it's better to give them general advice and tell them where to go when they do want to make a change. If they do want to make a change, you'd give different advice. Always interspace with summarising, asking their concerns, chunking and checking etc. as the vast majority of marks for stations like this are for all the soft stuff rather than the content itself.
I swear that this is word for word the exact same thread as last time. Am I going mad? :lolwut:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending